Mobo suggestions for OCing a 2nd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-2700k

Vampiric Rouge

Hey I was wondering what mobo you would suggest to get a good overclock on a 2nd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-2700k. I was thinking I would probably go with a P67 chipset and I know I want at least 2 PCIx16.

I can get a Intel® Desktop Board DP67BG Extreme series for $150 USD.

However, I'm not sure if there is a better option for around the same price. I would be willing to go a little higher but not more then $250.

Laquer Head

I'm partial to Asus boards myelf, had many over the years and great luck/experience with them.

You will pay a bit more--and some people have issues with their systems not waking up from sleep/hibernation--but I've never experienced this.

I'm using an Asus P8Z68-V PRO mobo and a 2600K processor... only thing is my board is not dual x16, in SLI its x8, x8..but I still love it and get tremendous performance.

I Overclocked to 5.007GHZ stable, and have been running it as such for 3 weeks now....the UEFI BIOS is ridiculously easy to use and feature rich.

Just my 2 cents from what I use..

Last edited:

CrazyMike

Might i ask "why the 2700k Processor"?

Little bit off topic i know, just curious. I also agree with Laquer Head, I myself am also partial to ASUS. I have been looking at the Maximus IV board for my build. The latest BIOS on that board is extremely friendly for OCers. Not to mention ASUS, in my opinion, has extremely well quality.

I'll look up P67 boards later when i am at home, if you don't get too many results.

numbthumb

I'm partial to Asus boards myelf, had many over the years and great luck/experience with them.

You will pay a bit more--and some people have issues with their systems not waking up from sleep/hibernation--but I've never experienced this.

I'm using an Asus P8Z68-V PRO mobo and a 2600K processor... only thing is my board is not dual x16, in SLI its x8, x8..but I still love it and get tremendous performance.

I Overclocked to 5.007GHZ stable, and have been running it as such for 3 weeks now....the UEFI BIOS is ridiculously easy to use and feature rich.

Just my 2 cents from what I use..

Hi, glad to read your success with this motherboard. I just ordered the whole shabang from Newegg. Very anxious to get it all. :good:

numbthumb

Which did you go with? The Intel you mentioned or an ASus?

Oh, it wasn't me mentioning the Intel, I just commented after reading your post here. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, just excited to hear good news about the ASUS board.

Anyway, FWIW, I went with an Asus P8Z68-V Pro GEN/3 board. An i5 2500K, cooler master 212 EVO fan, 16 gigs of Corsair 1600 ram, and a Seasonic M12II 620 watt PS. For now 2 WD 500gig hds, and Win. 7 Ultimate 64bit. Put it all in a midtower Compucase HEC 6XR8 case. Very conservative, ( I like that) I needed the firewire up front.

I'm anxious to see what this thing will do. I did a test encoding of a 15 minute dv-avi file to mpeg2 on my pent. 4 3ghz and it took 13 minutes to finish.

I took the same clip to my buddys house. He has a socket 775 dual core 3.2 ghz Wolfdale chip. We both were running XP pro 32 bit. Same editing software and same clip. It took 4 minutes on his computer.

I'm hoping the i5 will improve on that even more. :) Your post made me feel more confident in my choice of MBs.