MOBO that support PCi-e 2.0 amd 45nm

mAJORgAMER

Hi, sorry for bad english it's my 2nd language.

Is there a mobo that support pci-e 2.0 and the next 45nm cpu right now? Or i will have to wait until next year?

PC eye

banned
"The two month clock is ticking" states one C/NET article about PCI-E 2.0 seen at http://www.news.com/PCI-Express-2.0-nears-completion/2100-1006_3-6123758.html So far no direct information on boards has been seen while the updated GeForce 800, 8600GT, and 8800GT models are supposed to be this month. One article in August points to late November before the support arrives for the revision to the wider bandwidth.

The new PCI-Express 2.0 interface is starting to get more attention from chipset and motherboard makers and, as more and more PCEe 2.0 enabled boards arrive and are planned to arrive to market in the near future, Nvidia is looking to support the standard starting from this fall.

"The cards to be updated are the GeForce 800GT, 8600GT, 8600GTS and 8800GTX, the last two probably loosing one power connector along the way as PCIe 2.0 can provide up to 150W, double the maximum amount provided by the 1.1 revision. These updated cards will hit the stores in October with the high-end G92-powered card that also support PCIe 2.0 set to arrive one month later, in November." http://www.tcmagazine.com/comments.php?shownews=15657

This has been a topic since January while boards will take a biit longer to appear. Your safe bet is to wait the extra few months or so for everything you are planning on.

oregon

Do you think PCI-2 will become the new standard for graphics cards? How long will it be before it's on the majority of motherboards?

nexolus

It'll become the standard by next year.

Go to newegg.com and search for "x38" under motherboards, there are about 5 models out right now.

oregon

It'll become the standard by next year.

Go to newegg.com and search for "x38" under motherboards, there are about 5 models out right now.

They're all really expensive though. It's probably better to wait until pci2 mobos become the standard also.

meanman

i have just built my pc and i was wondering if these new mobos will be compatable with my hardware so in the futer i would just need to replace the mobo and video card.

PC eye

banned
When anything first comes out as far as hardwares the price is always through the roof! Hust take a quick look at some video cards to see over $1,000 for a price tag. Once any new product, product type, interface, etc. for any length of time the price has to come down in order to sell. Some 939 boards were selling for over $300 in 2006 to be seen now for $70-. The problem is the hardwares move at a faster pace then the OSs, softwares, and driver support.

daisymtc

8800GT is the only GPU support PCI-Ex2, as far as my understanding.
And intel X38 or X48 chipset will support PCI-E x 2. If you really want to be further proof, get one with DDR3 RAM.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Hi, sorry for bad english it's my 2nd language.

Is there a mobo that support pci-e 2.0 and the next 45nm cpu right now? Or i will have to wait until next year?

Not for AMD 45mn right now, but the Phenom coming out next month is 65nm and the AM2+ boards for the Phenom will have PCIe 2.0, Gigabyte, MSI, Abit and Asus have shown there new boards there going to release when the Phenom comes out.

mAJORgAMER

Well according to this link i just found http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128066 it say that the cpu type are: ''Quad-core / Core 2 Extreme / Core 2 Duo / Pentium EE / Pentium D / Pentium 4''

But at the bottom of the page to the right it say ''Supports Intel Core 2 multi-core and upcoming 45nm processors
Support for 1600 MHz FSB.''

So what does it mean exactly?

Personally i would like to know if it's better than a BIOS upgrade from the 680i?

nexolus

^ what are you asking? "'Supports Intel Core 2 multi-core and upcoming 45nm processors Support for 1600 MHz FSB.'' that says exactly what it means.

and stranglehold I didn't see the AMD before the 45nm part. it didn't make sense since AMD isn't even close to coming out with 45nm

PC eye

banned
Well according to this link i just found http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128066 it say that the cpu type are: ''Quad-core / Core 2 Extreme / Core 2 Duo / Pentium EE / Pentium D / Pentium 4''

But at the bottom of the page to the right it say ''Supports Intel Core 2 multi-core and upcoming 45nm processors
Support for 1600 MHz FSB.''

So what does it mean exactly?

Personally i would like to know if it's better than a BIOS upgrade from the 680i?

I never go by just what is seen at any vendor's product page but go directly to the manufacturer's product information and support site to get the accurate information. On occasion the information can be off when compared. The specifications can be looked over at http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Mot...erboard&ProductID=2599&ProductName=GA-X38-DQ6

AMD has been slow with a quad core line of cpus by coming out with the FX-74 dual cpu idea running two dual cores on the Socket Dual L(1207FX) type bpards. Intel already has quad core models available. The link here is a look at an Asus dual cpu model. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...ion=ASUS+L1N64-SLI+WS+SSI+CEB+AMD+Motherboard

elitehacker

Intel is streaks ahead with their new quad core CPUs. Yeah AMD is nowhere near 45nm. The issue with PCI -E 2.0 is the lack of a card that fully utilise it. Although the 8800GTX natively support it, it gains nothing from it since it doesn't even fully use up all the bandwidth of the PCi-E 1.0 bus let alone 2.0. On golden rule that one has to follow if one wants to save money is never buy electronics when you don't need them, so that's why I think motherboards with PCI-E 2.0 are just not worth it at the moment.

PC eye

banned
They're not! All you would get by rushing into the latest hardware type out is premature end results. Another thing to look at is the OS and software support in general. By the time the hardwares are all worked out with the products available the XP/2000 trail will already be outdated totally. The support on just the current hardwares out has swung to Vista quite a bit already.

nexolus

I have to disagree. If someone needs a new motherboard right now and is going to upgrade video card in the near future, it's definitely worth it.

PC eye

banned
I have to disagree. If someone needs a new motherboard right now and is going to upgrade video card in the near future, it's definitely worth it.

And if the board won't support a new line of cards later then what? You build a system around what a board will support often leaving some room for later upgrade/expansion when possible. But last year saw AM2 models and Intel quad cores weren't out yet. When going to upgrade you do it in the largest increment to avoid the need for fast swapouts in a short period of time.

elitehacker

Well, they advertise P35 and X38 as compatible with "upcoming 45nm processors" so I guess if they change the 45nm processors a little bit, they will release a Bios revision for it. I still don't like the idea of buying in anticipation for something that has not been released yet.