Modem loses internet connection.

BurningSkyline

Just recently my modem has started to act up. Every once and a while it will lose internet connection, while LAN still works. After a while or a reset it will regain it's connection. The modem is a modem/router combination from our ISP, and it's a few years old. Is the modem starting to show it's age and begin to die? I've checked and all of my connections are solid.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The next time it happens call your provider and have them run a line test to see if they can access the modem. If not, then they may replace the modem for you when you tell them it has been happening quite often lately.

BurningSkyline

The next time it happens call your provider and have them run a line test to see if they can access the modem. If not, then they may replace the modem for you when you tell them it has been happening quite often lately.

Unfortunately they are closed today or I would do It now. Doesn't speedtest.net have a test that checks either line quality or packet loss?

ayan

This seems like an overheat problem. I had the same problem and i temporarily solved it by putting an old fan cooler over the modem, but the true solving of the problem is buying a new modem.

jspears80

The only thing an end user can attempt to do to restore modem connectivity is simply repowering the device. Beyond that you will need to contact your ISP because they are the only ones with the tools and access required.

From my own experience these are typically things that can go wrong that the ISP will have to fix for you:

-Your provider's connection is down altogether.

-The lines running from your house to the street may need to be replaced.

-The modem needs to be replaced.

-Your immediate area may have line problems and needs servicing.

tldr; you need to contact your isp.