Modem problem

Pyotr

My connection to the internet seems to be lost quite often on the computer I am right now. It's a standard dial-up modem. When I check the little connection icon in the taskbar, the received and sent bytes have stopped, and a while after that, the computer asks me to reconnect.
Bad explanation, but what can I do about it?

And it's not my isp. My old computer worked fine (though it's hard disk is about to explode, I think).

Last edited:

Pyotr

It's a Conexant HCF V90 56k RTAD speakerphone PCI modem, according to system. Where's new drivers? >_<

Pyotr

I'd love you if it wasn't such a pain to register. :D
And I won't love you if drivers doesn't help, either.

computerdude2004

Check your phone line as well. You connection could also be timing out on you. If you are inactive for awhile you computer will disconnect.

computerdude2004

I looked at some other sites and they all require you to register. I don't think you will find a site that you don't have to register. Registration is free. You can lie about everything other than your e-mail if you are really that scared.

Grimulus

just recently being able to switch to an extremely overpriced DSL connection(because only dial up was available) because of monopolizing reasons, i was on dial up for about 7 years. yes, that's right, 7 years. I found out that noise/static/feedback/interruptions/ will kick you off the net. be sure that your phone line is properly serviced and maintained and that it's new. bitch at the company if you have too...i know lots of people who did.

my friend's road he lived on was connection at rougly 36kbs. all the phone lines got totoally replaced...now it's at 52kbs..and no getting kicked off...

computerdude2004

Cable connections are just as finicky, sp?. If you have any errors in a cable it won't work. Your TV picture can be fine if there is a cut or something in the cable, but not your internet connection. My grandma called the cable company every day and told them that her cable connection didn't work correctly and fast enough and they came and replaced all of the cables on the street and now it works fast and flawlessly.

Pyotr

It's NOT my isp. Internet works perfectly with my other computer (which is broken).
It's got to be this computer or the modem.
It seems it logs off whenever I do too many things, like chatting, and accessing two sites at once. My old computer never did that.