Modem / Router To Router Connection Question

I have a modem / router that connects to my desktop by either of two ways:

1. WiFi connection.
2. Via a USB port.

The modem / router has an internal antenna. But, with it not having an Ethernet LAN port, I do not have the option of connecting it to a more powerful router. The SMA jack is to connect to the external 9dB gain antenna.

Do they make WiFi routers with USB WAN ports? Or, is there another way I can connect this modem / router to other routers? I need to connect to other, more powerful WiFi routers - with external antennas, to cover more of our farm. Worst case, if I can just connect to one other router, would be great. The internal WiFi antenna in this particular unit just isn't going to cut the mustard.

CPE168W.jpg

Thanks for any assistance you may provide.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Get a different modem/router. Is that a that mobile hotspot modem? Any modem should have a ethernet port on it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Well a modem without an ethernet port is so outdated. Can't you buy your own modem?

Well a modem without an ethernet port is so outdated. Can't you buy your own modem?

I live in Cambodia. Trust me when I say, modems / routers aren't the only things behind the times, here.

So, is the answer to my query, no? I mean, there is no way to connect another router to this modem?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What is behind the white sticker? Seems like there should be an ethernet port behind it.
So, is the answer to my query, no? I mean, there is no way to connect another router to this modem?
You may be able to setup a wireless repeater/access point using the wireless from that modem but it would probable be slower
They have another model that does have an Ethernet port. But, it is much slower. So, that is not an option.
How could one with an ethernet port be slower? Could have just been a bad modem.

What is behind the white sticker? Seems like there should be an ethernet port behind it.

I blocked that out with a photo editing program. Behind it is the serial number, product ID number, the default broadcast SSID, WiFi key, and the AND and WLAN MAC addresses. Most of it, information I would just prefer the general public not knowing.

You may be able to setup a wireless repeater/access point using the wireless from that modem but it would probable be slower

Well, considering I am located 5 kilometers from the nearest highway, and we've only had mains power in the entire area for less than two years, I would be happy with most any speed, honestly. We have a 2 hectare farm that I would like to have access on, at least to most of the area - if possible.

How could one with an ethernet port be slower? Could have just been a bad modem.

Your guess is as good as mine. The CPE-153w had much slower up and download rates, than did the CPE-168w. The 153 was 1.5 Megabits down, .73 up. The 168 was 6.5 Megabits down, about 1.5 up. I tested them both using the speedtest.net site.

NOTE: I didn't use the USB port for access. I have only accessed the modem via the internal WiFi antenna.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I think its a lost cause at those speeds anyway. As far as I know, there are no routers that can use a usb as incoming internet to it. You would need multiple access points and the speed would be attrociously slow.

@beers @voyagerfan99 Any ideas?

I think its a lost cause at those speeds anyway. As far as I know, there are no routers that can use a usb as incoming internet to it. You would need multiple access points and the speed would be attrociously slow.

Well, I don't want "atrociously slow", for sure. Aside from having WiFi access on as much of the farm as possible, accessing the network would also include wireless cameras, located around the area.

I guess, worst case, I would have to buy one, two, or more of the modems / routers (the CPE-153w units with the Ethernet ports). I do have a load balancing router, where I could connect up to four of them to it, via Ethernet ports. That seems to be a heck of a waste of money to do that, though. $15 USD / month, for each unit to have continued access to the internet. (Multiple units, most likely, would be necessary to get the total speed I would want.) Of course, it isn't like there are lots of options for me, considering where the farm is located. :confused: o_O

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Where does the incoming internet even connect to that router? I see no cable or phone line connection?

beers

Staff member
I'm curious if there was more of a provisioning issue between the two. You might be able to roll a 'computer as a router' or raspberry pi to broker between a wired interface and usb. Even something like internet connection sharing on Windows gives you dhcp and Nat for anything on the lan side.

That's really the only thing I can think of unless you can roll some other 4g/lte device like a cradlepoint. Some routers have usb interfaces but 99% of the time it's just for usb storage sharing.

Where does the incoming internet even connect to that router? I see no cable or phone line connection?

It connects via the SMA jack. I have a 10 meters length of coax with an SMA connector on one end, and an N connector on the other, which connects directly to an antenna like the one in the image, below:
antenna_for_modem.jpg

And its specifications:
antenna_specifications.jpg

I'm curious if there was more of a provisioning issue between the two. You might be able to roll a 'computer as a router' or raspberry pi to broker between a wired interface and usb. Even something like internet connection sharing on Windows gives you dhcp and Nat for anything on the lan side.

That's really the only thing I can think of unless you can roll some other 4g/lte device like a cradlepoint. Some routers have usb interfaces but 99% of the time it's just for usb storage sharing.

That's what I have seen, as well. But, they have USB dongles, that, from what I understand anyway, can be plugged into some routers, to be accessed like a WAN port. Haven't found a router that has that option, yet.

Get a new modem

Again, the only other option is to buy the "slower" model, a CPE-153w. Where my access needs to be, is in a very rural area of a Third World country.