Modifying Ports on Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I have decent experience with computers in general. Over a decade ago, I began building my own computers instead of purchasing them pre-built from manufacturers.

For purely recreational/experimental purposes, I am considering starting a new project; building a custom laptop - using desktop components. I'll figure out how to make the housing/case later. I want to select the components, and then I'll worry about case building. Time and money are not major issues, as I am willing to spend up to a couple thousand dollars, and take about a year or so to complete this project.

I know that building a portable computer with desktop components will be a challenge. I have some ideas in mind about how to deal with the major heat and power consumption that are lesser issues with regular laptops. I understand the end result will likely be heavy, bulky, and cumbersome, and that's fine.

Also, I want emphasise that I am aware that I could just purchase a laptop that rivaled desktops in performance and power. This project is just for fun, but I digress.

I am taking the time to do my research before I begin, and there is one question I have first and foremost.

On most desktop motherboards, the RAM cartridge sticks straight up. If possible, I would like the RAM to insert sideways instead, so that it fits parallel to the motherboard, like on laptops.

I have two ideas:

Disregarding difficulty, is it theoretically possible to remove the RAM slot on the motherboard and solder it back on, sideways? I would get old, worthless computers on Craigslist to practice on before beginning the real project.

Alternatively, could I get a ribbon cable or something, that would connect the RAM to the motherboard slot?

Thanks.

beers

Staff member
It'd probably be a lot easier to just use low profile RAM. The smaller sticks don't even rise above the DIMM socket retention tabs.

What kind of CPU cooler were you going to go with? Even with a water block or similar you'd need more clearance than that.

I haven't decided on a cooling method yet; probably whatever the thinnest, working method possible is. To be honest, this project isn't even on the drawing board yet - I'm still on the step of figuring out if this whole thing is even doable.

If the cooling unit ends up being thicker than normal sized RAM anyway, then I may just keep the RAM pointing up after all.

If not, I might go with your suggestion of using low-profile sticks. My only concern is that low-profiles are more prone to overheating, but then again modifying the motherboard port is already incredibly risky.

Last edited:
If you mean what features it will have, it will likely include the following:

- at least 4 USB ports
- at least 1 ps2 port
- 1 ethernet port
- 1 VGA bus
- 1 HDMI port

- It may include audio ports, or that may be on an attachment.

Intel_man

VIP Member
No, not features. How are you going to modify a desktop motherboard's rear i/o panel to make it more sleek? Because that by itself will be your next problem when it comes to the height of your so called laptop.

Also, how are you going to fit a PSU into your laptop? Even with a SFX psu, it's still very bulky.

Still not sure why you want to do this. There are laptops out there that actually use desktop spec hardware that isn't a home built DIY kit that probably won't work.

My intention was to use a motherboard designed for a compact-desktop, rather than to modify the I/O port. The computer would be thicker than real laptops, at least 2 inches. There are power supplies thinner than SFX; however I will have to make sure that it is still capable of providing enough power.

Last edited:

TylerMacKenzie

How is this a bad idea? Too many people have no imagination. Carl I want to encourage you to stick with it man!

People probably thought that water cooling a PC was a stupid idea back in the day. Think about it.. water and electronics. And people were building them out of aquarium pump parts and any odds and ends that might work. They usually only had very marginal cooling improvements, if at all. But people though it was cool. And now look at the stuff people create.

Sure you'll likely never make a laptop as compact or even as powerful as big manufacturers. But it'll be way cooler, all yours and one of a kind! And who knows, maybe you'll spark some new trend in the modder world. For example the rear I/O. I saw a video on LinusTechTips where he took a big double slot graphics card and cut off one of the ports on the back. Because the card was converted to water cooling and only occupied one slot now. But he couldn't actually use the second slot because it still had one port in the second slot position. Chopped it off, still worked fine. And could now fit a second card in. Maybe you could do something similar to yours. They usually put more ports then what is needed and can sometimes be the tallest part of the board. I would wonder if it isn't possible to remove some ports without damaging the mobo. Seems like a crazy idea at first but to me that's true PC modding. Maybe someday we'll see motherboards with no I/O at all, just headers for USB, displayport, Ethernet, etc. That would be cool for the modding community and maybe you could spark that into motion.

Anyways, enough with my rant on how you should do it even if it doesn't make sense. Now I will try to be helpful.

RAM ribbon connectors: would be cool but I don't think such a thing exists, I'd think it would be possible though. They make PCIe ribbons. I don't see how this would be any different. Maybe would of those can be modified? Dunno.

Power supply: I think they are called pico PSUs. They just receive a external DC voltage and then regulate the different voltages needed so they can be much smaller. They just require you to get an AC to DC in line power brick just like all the power bricks on laptops now.

Rear I/O: maybe try my idea from above. Take them all off and just connect the few you actually need.

CPU cooler: if a water block is too thick, I'm pretty sure you can buy heat pipes. They are only like 6mm thick and you might be able to move the heat to beside the mobo where there might be more room for a heat sink or something.

Although another less hacky method is to get a thin mini itx. They are built with SODIMM RAM that lays parallel to the mobo and their I/O is only one port in height. There are just less options out there for thin mini itx.

One last remark. Are you really a PC modder if every single part of your PC is an unmodified and commercially manufactured product that you bought and assembled?

Laquer Head

How is this a bad idea? Too many people have no imagination. Carl I want to encourage you to stick with it man!

People probably thought that water cooling a PC was a stupid idea back in the day. Think about it.. water and electronics. And people were building them out of aquarium pump parts and any odds and ends that might work. They usually only had very marginal cooling improvements, if at all. But people though it was cool. And now look at the stuff people create.

Sure you'll likely never make a laptop as compact or even as powerful as big manufacturers. But it'll be way cooler, all yours and one of a kind! And who knows, maybe you'll spark some new trend in the modder world. For example the rear I/O. I saw a video on LinusTechTips where he took a big double slot graphics card and cut off one of the ports on the back. Because the card was converted to water cooling and only occupied one slot now. But he couldn't actually use the second slot because it still had one port in the second slot position. Chopped it off, still worked fine. And could now fit a second card in. Maybe you could do something similar to yours. They usually put more ports then what is needed and can sometimes be the tallest part of the board. I would wonder if it isn't possible to remove some ports without damaging the mobo. Seems like a crazy idea at first but to me that's true PC modding. Maybe someday we'll see motherboards with no I/O at all, just headers for USB, displayport, Ethernet, etc. That would be cool for the modding community and maybe you could spark that into motion.

Anyways, enough with my rant on how you should do it even if it doesn't make sense. Now I will try to be helpful.

RAM ribbon connectors: would be cool but I don't think such a thing exists, I'd think it would be possible though. They make PCIe ribbons. I don't see how this would be any different. Maybe would of those can be modified? Dunno.

Power supply: I think they are called pico PSUs. They just receive a external DC voltage and then regulate the different voltages needed so they can be much smaller. They just require you to get an AC to DC in line power brick just like all the power bricks on laptops now.

Rear I/O: maybe try my idea from above. Take them all off and just connect the few you actually need.

CPU cooler: if a water block is too thick, I'm pretty sure you can buy heat pipes. They are only like 6mm thick and you might be able to move the heat to beside the mobo where there might be more room for a heat sink or something.

Although another less hacky method is to get a thin mini itx. They are built with SODIMM RAM that lays parallel to the mobo and their I/O is only one port in height. There are just less options out there for thin mini itx.

One last remark. Are you really a PC modder if every single part of your PC is an unmodified and commercially manufactured product that you bought and assembled?

Nobody has posted in 4.5 months, probably a safe bet nobody gives a shit anymore.

TylerMacKenzie

Hah oh yeah I know. Just had to get that off my chest though. Just love the idea of trying crazy stuff like that. Wish he'd kept at even though it was foolish. Would have been neat to see if nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.