MOHPA - "...Except GeForce 4MX"

kroc0005

This is on the system requirements package for Medal Of Honor - Pacific Assault.

"Video card must have 64mb or more of memory and one of these T&L capable chipsets: ATI Radeon 8500 or greater; NVidia GeForce3 or greater, except GeForce 4MX."

Unfortunately, I have the GeForce MX440 video card on my system.

First, what does T&L mean?

and second, does this mean I have to get a new video card or are there driver updates for this particular card? Uponinstalling the game, i am only getting a error message on its start up talking about supported video cards and then does not even go into the game. Am I in need of a new and updated card then? I find it hard to believe the GeForce3 is compatible and yet the Ge4 is not.

Sucks i want to k\continue conquering WWII. Thanks for any help on this, i have been doing a couple hours of searching on teh web for drivers but not quite sure i want to download them if it isnt even necessary. Again, thanks.

kroc0005

System specs (if necessary)
Sony Vaio PCV-RX22G
P4 2.4GHz
512mb DDR333 SDRam
80gb

Drastik

Texture and Lighting

The reason why it says geforce 3+ but not g4 mx, is because mx is made without the lastest features of previous or future cards... So its pretty much a cheap crappy card.
If you didnt know companys use cheap cards like the MX to save on there cost of buying them and the cost of the price you have to pay for the unit, but the buyer isnt aware how crappy this card is....
You CANNOT install drivers to fix this problem because this is a hardware fault, it is the actually card which is the problem, the only way you could fix the problem of being able to play the game is getting yourself a better card.
Also your card doesnt have pixle shaders, so dont expect to be able to play splintercell3 and any other 2005 games that need it, games are evolving and need these features....
Just to let you know.

Get yourself a Gf4 Ti at least, if your on a budget. Its STILL a good card....

Oh and i have a sony vaio too, i was the lucky one a got a Geforce4 Ti instead. :D Graphics are really good. Card is kinda old, but it will last a couple more months... then ima change it.

Last edited:

kroc0005

Wow, thanks for the response. So you are saying my card is no good then for this, therefore will not even be able to play regardless of any driver updates?

If that is the case, that's ok. i was already thinking i might as well splurge again on a new card, another NVidia with 256mb on it for any future gaming needs over the next couple years. This one has been sufficient for the first 2 years, but apparently not good enough anymore! (Oh, and i get a discount at bestbuy for being an employee, so it knocks a lot of the juice off the shelf price of the cards.)

Thanks for the help.

Jim

Drastik

kroc0005 said:
Wow, thanks for the response. So you are saying my card is no good then for this, therefore will not even be able to play regardless of any driver updates?

If that is the case, that's ok. i was already thinking i might as well splurge again on a new card, another NVidia with 256mb on it for any future gaming needs over the next couple years. This one has been sufficient for the first 2 years, but apparently not good enough anymore! (Oh, and i get a discount at bestbuy for being an employee, so it knocks a lot of the juice off the shelf price of the cards.)

Thanks for the help.

Jim

I wouldnt get a card with higher memory because i heard they tend to be slower than a card with 128mb, also it isnt wise to get a card that has 256mb because by the time games come out with that needed spec, your card might be useless or you might decide to get a better card by then. Higher memory doesnt mean higher speed, just to let ya know.

kroc0005

Interesting comment...

do you have a recommendation between ati or nvidia then? it seems like it is personal preference. For me, i am indifferent between the two.

...But at least i should just go with the 128mb and save some cash up? (perhaps get Star Wars Battelefront with money saved, heh heh)

Drastik

kroc0005 said:
Interesting comment...

do you have a recommendation between ati or nvidia then? it seems like it is personal preference. For me, i am indifferent between the two.

...But at least i should just go with the 128mb and save some cash up? (perhaps get Star Wars Battelefront with money saved, heh heh)

Nah, both of them are fine, ati and nvidia arnt alike but they both have quality products... its just your choice which one you go for....
Personal i would go for the geforce 6600gt, this is a fairly new card for nvidia, which is very good and really picks up where the gefore3/4 Ti series left off....Because the Fx series wasnt very good.

kroc0005

thanks for your feedback, i will note this and look to get one pretty quick.

have a great new year!

jim

Tokinbudz

Drastik said:
I wouldnt get a card with higher memory because i heard they tend to be slower than a card with 128mb, also it isnt wise to get a card that has 256mb because by the time games come out with that needed spec, your card might be useless or you might decide to get a better card by then. Higher memory doesnt mean higher speed, just to let ya know.

That's a broad statement, it all depends on the particular video card. A geforce 6800 ulra or a x800 xt pe is better then any 128mb card out there.

maverick77_uk

Hi all,

Think everyone's correct on all scores.

Just to confim about the GF4mx - They're based on the design originally used for the Geforce 2 series of cards - hardware for DirectX 7.

The Geforce 3 and Geforce 4Ti cards are DirectX 8 units - they support pixel shading.

The GF4 mx cards, like the Geforce 2 cards support hardware texture and lighting (T&L), but don't support the pixelshading.

Its been a bit of a pain over the years as the Geforce 3 is a superior card to the Geforce 4mx, although the name doen't make that obvious. As already stated, Geforce 4mx cards are budget cards.

Drastik

Tokinbudz said:
That's a broad statement, it all depends on the particular video card. A geforce 6800 ulra or a x800 xt pe is better then any 128mb card out there.

You obviously did not understand.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
"Video card must have 64mb or more of memory and one of these T&L capable chipsets: ATI Radeon 8500 or greater; NVidia GeForce3 or greater, except GeForce 4MX."

Unfortunately, I have the GeForce MX440 video card on my system.

First, what does T&L mean?
Translation to English: MOHPA requires a DirectX8 card. The GF4MX (NV17) has oinly 24 of the 26 shaders required for DirectX8 compliance. Unfortunately these shaders are important and MOHPA needs them to function (anothert common game where NV17 messed out due to DX8 noncompliance is SilentHill3). There are sometimes hacks you can do to offload the shader routines to the CPU but they dont always work.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Find me a 6800U or X800XTPE with 128MB.... (otherwuse you've essentially agreed with him heehee)