Mom Needs Help/Laptop

aloha

OK people - I am confused. I am shopping for a laptop for my college bound 18 year old. I'm prepared to spend $1600. He will be using his laptop for school however he is an avid gamer so I need to seriously consider the video card specs - I think. After reading all of the posts, it seems I'll be considering the Dell Ispiron 9400 or 6000. The 6000 interests me because of the weight, as well. Is that as important to college student? The different configurations of these two Dells are throwing me for a loop. Help Thanks.

celsdogg

i would be willing to carry up to a 10lb laptop, but im used to wearing heavy packs. is weight important to him? it might be since he will be moving class to class. . .

aloha

I don't think weight is an issue necessarily for him (would be for me). But also, should I be concerned about laptop operation noise?

celsdogg

definatly if he is going to be using it in class. fortunetly, most laptops that are in good repair dont make much noise unless they are going full power, like when playing a game. at that time, the fans pretty much all spin up max speed and make a lot of noise, but, hopefully he will not be gaming in class!! :D

alanuofm

VIP Member
aloha said:
OK people - I am confused. I am shopping for a laptop for my college bound 18 year old. I'm prepared to spend $1600. He will be using his laptop for school however he is an avid gamer so I need to seriously consider the video card specs - I think. After reading all of the posts, it seems I'll be considering the Dell Ispiron 9400 or 6000. The 6000 interests me because of the weight, as well. Is that as important to college student? The different configurations of these two Dells are throwing me for a loop. Help Thanks.

i think you should ask your son if he wants a large laptop with a sweet video card, or a smaller laptop with a mediocre video card.

aloha

Hi I noticed this window open and decidied to reply, this is the son. I wouldnt mind a 7-8 lb notebook as long as it has a sweet card and a nice battrery life. :D

alanuofm

VIP Member
aloha said:
Hi I noticed this window open and decidied to reply, this is the son. I wouldnt mind a 7-8 lb notebook as long as it has a sweet card and a nice battrery life. :D

do you have any preferences on the amount of ram, size of hard drive, cd or dvd burner, size of monitor?

aloha

Hey its the son again, since im majoring in Film I decided to go with a Mac. Har har har! Thanks for helping my mom.

aloha

Apple Powerbook

15.2-inch TFT Display
1280x854 resolution
1.67GHz PowerPC G4
2GB DDR333 SDRAM
100GB Hard Drive
ATI Mobility Radeon
9700 (64 MB DDR)
Backlit keyboard
Gigabit Ethernet
FireWire 400 & 800