Monitor constantly switches on and off when i run games

SLLAB02

When I try to run some games on my comp (Project Snowblind, Bioshock, even popcap games like Astropop), when I run the game the first thing that happens is my monitor clicks on and off and on and off over and over again between a low resolution desktop and a blank screen. I usually have to restart the comp to fix this. At first I thought it was a videocard problem but I updated my drivers via the Nvidia site and the problem still persists.

Any tips? I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT MY VIDEOGAMES!!

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Check that the resolution and refresh rate of the monitor is set correctly. If it's an LCD monitor it will have a 60hert refresh rate and a native resolution it should be set at.

Is the resolution of the games you're playing low? Try a higher res, if not the native resolution, if dealing with an LCD.

SLLAB02

Check that the resolution and refresh rate of the monitor is set correctly. If it's an LCD monitor it will have a 60hert refresh rate and a native resolution it should be set at.

Is the resolution of the games you're playing low? Try a higher res, if not the native resolution, if dealing with an LCD.

My monitor is not flatscreen...so that means I don't have an LCD, right? (via the Nvidia settings utility that came with my comp, refresh rate is set at 60...the only other options are 70 and 72. There's a little icon in the lower right of my screen where I can mess with that stuff.)

Keep in mind that I can't even run these games - the second I try to run them, the monitor blinking starts. There are other games that I play where I don't have this problem (Half Life 2, Day of Defeat, Portal)

hermeslyre

VIP Member
CRT monitors are big fat ones, LCD are the skinny ones. ;) If it's a CRT, bring that refresh rate up, as high as it can go. Make sure the resolution is 1024 x 768 or 1280 x 1024, or something around there. Depends on the particular monitor.

It might work, I'm skeptical if it'll fix your problem, but it's the first thing I thought of. :D Come back if it doesn't and we'll try to help some more. Oh, and you have the display drivers installed (if they're needed, some don't) and correct nvidia 6 series drivers?