Monitor display goes green after turning off for a while?

Rip_Uk

I have a dual monitor setup, specs are in signature, occasionally I turn the monitors off leaving the PC running.

If I leave them for 30 mins or so and come back the first monitor with a HDMI connection (main screen) is green, the screen is still working in windows but green.

If I disable the monitor in windows display options, then enable it, it comes straight back on as normal.

There are no problems when using the 2 monitors, I have got them set to always on in the power options and the display drivers are up to date. I have tried reinstalling the display drivers also.

Any Ideas?

Last edited:

Intel_man

VIP Member
Do you have another HDMI cable to test if it's a cable issue?

If not, you can try rolling back to an older driver to see if it's the latest driver causing issues. That's where I would start first.

OmniDyne

It's well documented that AMD has driver issues on the graphics side. We've got multiple RX 580's at work and every single one has had strange visual issues. One displayed the same issue you are having; fixed with a driver update. Another 580 gave visual artifacts (white and translucent horizontal lines); again a driver update fixed it.

We have 5 or 6 operating currently and they all exhibit strange visual behavior from time to time.

As stated, check cables and try driver updates or rollbacks. Are you utilizing Windows update for drivers or AMD's website? I'd go directly through AMD.

Rip_Uk

Hi, same problem with 2 cables.

I am using the driver directly from ASUS because the AMD driver causes stuttering while gaming (known issue).

It looks like I may need to wait for another driver to be released.

Intel_man

VIP Member
If the latest drivers from AMD cause stuttering issues, use the one previous to the latest one. Don't use the one from ASUS website.

Rip_Uk

It seems I cant get hold of an older driver that does not have the known issue.

"Some games may exhibit stutter intermittently during gameplay on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products. "

I have the 19.10.12 version from ASUS, this is why I don't have the stuttering problem.

EDIT I have found them :D

OmniDyne

the display drivers are up to date.

Are you saying you've tried the latest drivers from AMD and you experienced stuttering in games in addition to the green screen, or are you saying you used the driver from ASUS because of the concern of stuttering in games?

Rip_Uk

I have now tried every driver that AMD have for this GFX card and still get the green screen, I believe it is not a driver issue.

When I turn off Monitor 1 and turn it back on the screen goes green like it loses the HDMI signal, I can quickly get the screen back by forcing the monitor to be mirrored or extended to, doing this must tell Windows to look for the monitor again.

No idea.

Rip_Uk

Have you contacted Asus regarding the green screen matter?

No, I think its a Windows issue, although I will contact ASUS.

I need to somehow disable auto-detection feature of the HDMI port.

It seems it is a handshake problem, when the power is turned off on the monitor, the HDMI port doesn't interface with the GFX card.

OmniDyne

No, I think its a Windows issue, although I will contact ASUS

Is Windows up to date? I'm not saying it isn't a Windows issue, but I really doubt it is. Sounds as if it's a monitor fault or a graphics card fault. We're running 20+ Windows machines here with 2 to 3 monitors utilizing HDMI with no green screen issues. Many of them are utilizing AMD RX cards. Never seen this kind of problem before.

Try swapping just the monitors around and see what behavior it exhibits. Keep the cables and power connectors in the same spot. If the same monitor goes green then you have a solid theory on the monitor.

Rip_Uk

Hi thanks for the reply.

Windows is up to date. I have tested the monitors already and the green screen affects the HDMI connected monitor.

Rip_Uk

one hdmi and one DVI

the GFX card has 1 HDMI, 2 x DVI and 1 Display Port inputs.

Last edited: