Monitor Disrupts Internet Connection?

spirit

Staff member
It's not a problem anymore as now I have thrown the monitor out, but it's a weird problem nonetheless and I was wondering if any guys here have experienced this kind of issue before or know what was going wrong?

So we had a 19" LCD ViewSonic screen which was working perfectly up until a couple of days ago. However, we noticed that when we turned the monitor on, our internet connection would screech to a halt, ie - we'd lose connection. Tried the monitor in different rooms and still had the same problem. However, if the monitor was turned off, our internet connection would be fine. Tried different power cords to no avail.

My guess is that the monitor was probably emitting something that disrupts the connection or it's something to do with the monitor electrically. However it's odd because we use Ethernet in our house, none of us are on Wi-Fi, all LAN. Has anybody had the same problem before? As I say the monitor is gone now but I'd like to know what was happening. Thanks.

spirit

Staff member
Bad ground?? is that an electrical fault? Sorry I don't know much about electronics.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
It does sound like there was some noise being reflected back into the mains. Whether that noise was due to grounding issues or not I am unable to say, being unfamiliar with the details of British electrical wiring conventions.

Considering the problem was isolated to this one monitor, it seems obvious there was a defect in said monitor causing your problem.