Monitor (I hope) Issues

LaGlaceMince

Lately my monitor has been giving me trouble on boot.

Both during the initial and windows boot, the monitor will blink on and off (never anything but a black screen, the light just turns on and off). I can get the monitor to work if I turn the computer off and on enough times. Usually I am able to get the monitor to work for the initial boot, then it starts blinking on and off again once it reaches the windows boot.

I have tried securing all the cables, and have opened up my case to check internal connections .

I am afraid that it may be an issue with some of my other hardware, but I was unable to get a reply after emailing viewsonic (the company that makes my monitor), so I have no real information about the problem.. Any help would be appreciated.

Tayl

VIP Member
Do you have onboard graphics at all that you could try? As mine done a similar thing when my graphics card was about to collapse on me. So if you can either test the same monitor on your onboard graphics (if you have it) else if not either test your monitor on another machine or another monitor on your machine. Noticed any glitching or lag when in game or doing general desktop activities? Any drop in FPS and such? Recently updated anything on your PC (such as flashed your graphics card / BIOS etc)?

Let the elimination process commence!

Rove.

LaGlaceMince

thanks a ton for the advice, Im gonna get to testing stuff out tommorow.

Just wanted to add this - I turned my computer off for a few minutes, and then decided to turn in back on. I did not encounter and issues on boot. after trying a few more times, I had no problem. After leaving the computer off for a couple hours, the monitor again had trouble.

I don't know if this can provide any insights into what the problem is, but I figured it might be helpful.

thanks again! :D

Tayl

VIP Member
Well that could possibly be a hardware issue as when it's warm and has been in use, it's settled and working. Where as over a period of time being off, it isn't. Sounds a little silly but trust me, I've ran into that many computer issues myself that all of these occurances arent unfamiliar to me. First thing I would try would be your monitor on another computer or a different monitor on your computer. Then try any onboard graphics you may have, if not, have a spare graphics card laying around that you know works / have someone you can test your card in their machine? Then try your memory in another machine or take both sticks out, try one in each slot, then try the other in each slot, then swap them around and put them back in, within your machine I mean, if you have no one else you can steal one from etc.

Rove.