Monitor loses red

rokk

I have a SONY VAIO I bought about 5 years ago, when I bought it, I also purchased a refurbished 21 in SONY Trinitron Monitor. I also upgraded to a 32 MB videocard. After about 3-4 years my monitor started to lose red from time to time, intermittantly. Eventually, one day the red just never came on at all. I used the computer for a while, as red isn't that crucial of a color to lose. Well recently green started doing the same thing, about that same time, I acquired a 17" Dell Trinitron monitor from my father, it was about 7 years old, but he never used his computer alot, so I thought this should last a while. I hooked up the 17" monitor and also re-installed the factory video card, thinking the 32 MB video card may have caused my other monitor problems. Everything has been great for 3 weeks, until today my red flickered out for about 10 minutes before coming back on.

This is driving me nuts! And I dont want to lose another good monitor!

Does this sound like a coincidence? Does anyone know where my problem could lie? Has anyone heard of this before? I've done searches on the web but cant find anyone with a problem like mine.

Sorry, for the lengthy post, TIA for your help.

Eklipze3k

It does sound like a coincidence to be honest, but considering the ages of both the monitors, I wouldn't be surprised if they were both on their way out before you even got your hand on them, since I've had 3 CRT monitors and none of them lasted much past 7 years (of course, I didn't have them for the entire span of their life). My only suggestion, and considering the current popularity of TF/LCD screens, would be to try buying a new CRT monitor. You can usually pick up a decent 17" brand new for less than £70 (US$140). Worth investigating anyway, at least then you'll have a monitor with a warranty which can be replaced if it does die ;)

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Trinitron tubes have very a long lifespan, so I don't think the monitors' tube are dying.
That flickering could be caused a faulty VGA cable.
It could be also a very strange sensitivity of the monitor's electronics. Once I had a problem with a monitor: sometimes its hue changed suddenly (and randomly). And the cause of it was a defective streetlight bulb. Never had this problem after that bulb got replaced...

Echo_

my trintron has lost a lot of red color and has lines goin across it.... but that could be cuz i used it for lans and dropped it quite a few times

<whistles innocently>

S_Doherty

Do you have any speakers beside the monitor? or anything with a magnetic force? this will drain the life of your monitor rapidly

rokk

S_Doherty said:
Do you have any speakers beside the monitor? or anything with a magnetic force? this will drain the life of your monitor rapidly

Good point, I hadn't thought of that ... I do have Bose 201's on both sides, about 3 feet away from the monitor. They are not shielded but I always thought this was a safe distance for them.

Do you think they could affect the monitor from 3 feet away? The magnet can't be very large in this bookshelf type speaker. Interesting point though, I think I'll try removing them, just to see what happens.

Thanks

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
After about 3-4 years my monitor started to lose red from time to time, intermittantly. Eventually, one day the red just never came on at all
Check the cable connected the monitor to the computer :)

Has anyone heard of this before?
Ya I lost blue on mine but thats cuz I mashed the blue pin :p

The speakers (which are usually shieleded) ... wouldnt do much more (in most cases) other than cause distortion

Do you think they could affect the monitor from 3 feet away?
Not a chance. Check the wiring on the VGA cable :)