Monitor overheating?

claptonman

I got a used Dell 2407 and after using it for basic internet browsing for about 30 minutes, it turns black.

If I unplug the DVI, and plug it back in, it's still black.

I cannot turn off the monitor with the power button when's it's black.

I used two different DVI cables, and a VGA cable. Made sure they were tightly screwed on. Tried two different power cables, and also tried two different computers.

The monitor does get quite hot. It also smells of burning electronics, faintly.

Is it just faulty? Anything I could do at all?

FuryRosewood

maybe the inverter for the backlights is overheating? shine a light up to it to see if it still displays when it goes dark

MMM

Faulty power supply with burning smell is telling you the monitor is a potential fire hazard.....throw it out & get your self another one....

FuryRosewood

a 2407 is not something you 'throw out' if possible id call dell and see if you can get it serviced, its a great monitor.

claptonman

a 2407 is not something you 'throw out' if possible id call dell and see if you can get it serviced, its a great monitor.

True. I got the 2407 and a 2405 for $80 each. Was a steal, but I still wish this one worked. I'll try the light through the back.

If I do get it serviced from dell, what it is highest I should pay for it? I'm just trying to resell them.