Monitor poop'n out or what?

RocketScience

I got a one year old 19" ViewSonic CRT monitor with a problem (I think).

Symptoms:
On screen image has crunched itself (vertically) to about one third the possible viewing area. The graphic is still somewhat discernable, however it looks like it's pasted to the side of a tube (convex looking).

I've tried all the typical fix-its. Different cards, settings, drivers, connections, heck, even a different system. No luck.

So, is this thing poop'n out on me or what?

Bobo

banned
Most likely, no

I have a viewsonic 19" crt and I think all it is is that the settings got messed up

press the menu button on the monitor-labeled 1

Mess around in there until you get it back to normal

RocketScience

The menu on the monitor works, yet I cannot see it come up on the monitor. I just have to guess what settings I am at to change (i.e. Moving it up or down, or Stretching it). This has happened before but while using my menu to just mess around with it, the screen flashed and expanded really big and started working again, but recently has shrunken again. The top of the monitor is has "folded" over and if I put my mouse up to the top it bends around and can see it again. Also if i make my screen as big as it goes the monitor seems very unstable and seems it wants to work again. Sorry for the bad explanations, but it is very hard to explain.

Bobo

banned
RocketScience said:
The menu on the monitor works, yet I cannot see it come up on the monitor. I just have to guess what settings I am at to change (i.e. Moving it up or down, or Stretching it). This has happened before but while using my menu to just mess around with it, the screen flashed and expanded really big and started working again, but recently has shrunken again. The top of the monitor is has "folded" over and if I put my mouse up to the top it bends around and can see it again. Also if i make my screen as big as it goes the monitor seems very unstable and seems it wants to work again. Sorry for the bad explanations, but it is very hard to explain.

I sortof understand, and it sounds like it is just poopin out. Maybe it is just constipated.... :D

But that is an awfully short lifespan, crt monitors have an expected lifespan of like 7 years

Bobo

banned
RocketScience said:
Do you think it could possibly be a bad connection or a bad wire?

That doesn't sound right, that it would curve over like that, bc as far as I know, there is nothing in the computer that controls that, it is all monitor

Try degaussing

Bobo

banned
RocketScience said:
Tried, but to no avail. I guess Ill just have to sit around and wait for it to start working again :p

Waiting is such fun, isn't it? :D

Good luck, you're gonna need it :cool:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
But that is an awfully short lifespan, crt monitors have an expected lifespan of like 7 years
I had a Princeton 17" back in the day that died in 60 hours ... then again ive got this Viewsonic here after 8 years :p

Do you think it could possibly be a bad connection or a bad wire?
hell ya ... not really much you can do to isolate that kinda problem tho