Monitor property which is caused by...?

Yoonsi

Okay, vague title I know. But I have this really old 17 inch LCD monitor. Now when I'm ingame (say an FPS) and looking at the edge of a wall, when I move my view to the left or right (or wherever really) the edges of the wall will sort of flicker in a pattern which travel to the top of the screen. This will happen on the edges of most light colored things in the game when I move my view. Or when they move in a cut scene. Only things I know about this monitor are: a) it has a 16ms response (terrible I know) and a 60Hz max refresh rate. Which of these would cause this? Or is it a mix of the two? I'm just curious because I'm shopping for a new monitor =]

Many thanks!:D

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
I think what you are describing is tearing; try turning VSync on and see if that fies it.

I, however, wouldn't even bother playing around with a CRT if the max Hz it supports is 60 - my eyes would fall on the ground if I even tried.

Yoonsi

oh not trying to fix it because this monitor is really old, and ive given up on it. Just wondering what causes it =] thanks for the reply though!

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Just wondering what causes it
What causes it?

Tearing is when a framebuffer (that contains the image that's being painted on the screen so to speak) is updated while the screen is refreshing, so what appears on the screen is part of the old and part of the new frame... and this is usually noticed when moving around or turning quickly. VSync simply fores the frames to be updated in sync with the monitor refresh rate, eliminating tearing.

Go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing for more reading...