Monitor Question

PaulB

Hey, sorry I posted on the desktop branch of the website but I just built a gaming desktop and I need a monitor for watching movies and playing games. I also need to be able to have my ps4 plugged in and my PC plugged in at the same time.

EvanK

I'm not too much of an expert when it comes to monitors, however I can tell you that for gaming you'll want to take a look at some of the newer TN monitors with a refresh rate of at least 120hz. Having a fast refresh rate is crucial, and it's something that IPS can't really offer (yet) at a manageable price. What's your budget? Would you be looking at a single monitor setup, or possibly dual display?

spirit

Staff member
Get a TV?

TV is fine for movies and games but for general use, TVs make horrible monitors (trust me, I've tried it).

If all you're going to do is play games and watch movies then a TV will be fine, but if you want to do other stuff too, I recommend getting a proper computer monitor. 24" or 27" 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 would be my recommendation.

These are meant to be pretty good http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236103R plug your PC in via DVI or DisplayPort and your PS4 in via HDMI and you should be good to go.

PaulB

Price isn't a real problem what about the benq XL2420T. Is it good for gaming PC/console and watching movies? Please reply.

daisymtc

TV is fine for movies and games but for general use, TVs make horrible monitors (trust me, I've tried it).

If all you're going to do is play games and watch movies then a TV will be fine, but if you want to do other stuff too, I recommend getting a proper computer monitor. 24" or 27" 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 would be my recommendation.

These are meant to be pretty good http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236103R plug your PC in via DVI or DisplayPort and your PS4 in via HDMI and you should be good to go.

I use 23" TV as monitor, having got much problem...