Monitor shuts off

Gregtech

New Member
Weird problem. This just started yesterday. I have an old HP monitor (the big bulky kind!) connected to a dell optiplex gx270. whenever I turn on the computer the monitor stays on until the black screen with the windows logo; but, right before I get to the blue log on screen the monitor shuts off.

I've switched monitors with no problem, and I've even tried that same monitor on a different computer--and again, no problem. The problem only happens with that specific HP monitor on the Dell Optiplex.

any suggestions?
 
lolll thats so weird. Check the connection pins for corosion or anything like that. Also look along the VGA (or HDMI, whatever you have) wire to see if there are any kinks or anything weird like that.

I dont know if this is againstforum rules, if it is dont ban me! its not a pm, just erase my post, or edit this part out of it, sorry mods, but I have a couple of Dell CRT (big bulky) monitors sitting around, and they have pretty big screens (I can find out how big when I get home), and I'd sell you one if you can't fix it.
 
Is it just or monitor that shuts off? And does it actually shut off, or does it stay on and say no input detected or something to that effect?
 
My apologies for not providing enough info...

Yes, it's only the monitor that shuts off. The tower remains active. Maybe "shuts off" is the wrong term because the monitor doesn't turn off. The screen just goes completely black similar to when a screen saver is activated.

The main power button is still on and still green--not the dark orange color you see when the computer is in sleep mode.

The brightness/contrast led, however, deactivates when the screen "blacks out"--this light is always active when this monitor is working properly.

Again, I should add that this monitor works fine when connected to my other computer; and my second monitor works fine connected to this tower.
 
That's a weird problem, mine did the same thing tho but it was caused by corrupt video drivers, I booted it in safe mode, and if it works there, then your video drivers are corrupted, if not, then it isn't that :).
 
try this: get the ubuntu live disk from the ubuntu website (www.ubuntu.com) and burn it to a cd. Boot then from it (you may need to change the boot order from the bios settings so the cd is before the hdd or use the boot menu if you know how to access it), select the language and start the os. If it successfully boots and you are able to use it with no problems, this means that the windows installation may be corrupt. You may need to reinstall windows.
You can try this with any other linux distributions, ubuntu is just my personal favorite.

And what you mean it shuts off? Just turns black and that's all, or turns black and the monitor's power light turns orange (or whatever color it is like when your computer is off)
 
That's a weird problem, mine did the same thing tho but it was caused by corrupt video drivers, I booted it in safe mode, and if it works there, then your video drivers are corrupted, if not, then it isn't that :).

That did it. I booted in safe mode and it worked fine, then I used system restore so everything is operational once again.

Thanks for all the suggestions! :D
 
Back
Top