Monitor switches/powers off during hard drive installation

Know1one

ATI RADEON
HD 4600 (Visiontek)

I have written to ATI but, of course NEVER got any reply

This is ONLY a recent problem – I have had this computer for a couple years with this current configuration & have installed several Hard drives during that time for different reasons (size, OS (Windows, Linux) ETC) – but, with Microsoft ending support for XP – I decided to get an SSD drive, I wanted install a small partition of XP for programs I really love on XP (photo, etc) & a new version of LINUX for my main OS

However, as I have done times before on this computer with NO prior problems, what is happening now & at first for whatever reasons made me think it was with my motherboard (ASUS) to which I wrote to the company as the company for your motherboard also provides the BIOS for your system – But, ASUS is no help at all & responded with a half ass, pass the buck response – obviously they won’t help their customers ------- but, then it hit me like a ton of bricks, who knows why it didn’t before hand

What is happening, is now when I am trying to install a hard drive – during the installation of the OS (have tried both Windows & Linux – and this happens with both) – that my monitor switches off –of, course it’s still got power but, as if it no longer is getting signal power, as if I put it in sleep or turned off the monitor ----- I haven’t had this problem before & the computer works fine with no problems at all with my current hard drive – once with NO drive attached while adjusting BIOS settings – it did this

This isn’t a compatibility issue with the new SSD as I had also tried using an older unused HDD drive reformatting with LINUX on there & this also occurred – NO new hardware (graphics, sound cards have been changed) – the computer is how it has been for a couple years BUT, only now is this problem occurring --- I did actually get Windows installed onto the new drive & have had it boot to the desktop – I have even started to set up once before my monitor turns off – even if this was because, it still hasn’t updated all the drivers yet – it hasn’t happened before with other drives used – I did try to plug my monitor to the onboard VGA port of the motherboard to get to finish setting up but, no signal at all there

I can get as far as the actual installation of the OS - & Windows did actually install but, still turns off & can only get so far with the LINUX install before it too also turns off ------- Because, I have an ASUS motherboard – the Bios sucks, very very limited settings – I am only impressed by the fact that it does in the least offer USB support --- but, again as far as the monitor & screen goes – this problem has NEVER happened before & does NOT happen at all with my current year old drive with WINDOWS XP – but, I will have to stop using it as XP is no longer supported I will eventually be unsafe & unsecured to viruses & such

THANK YOU

Last edited by a moderator:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
First of all, what is the model number of motherboard you have? Second, have you tried resetting the cmos?