Monitor Value

bengal85

Hey I was just wondering is there even any value to CRT monitors any more?

(I am looking to get one because even if I have to pay they will be cheap.)

I just dont want to get ripped off here

Krysis

I really don't think that CRT monitors that much cheaper if they are cheaper at all. I would look at newegg for some cheap monitors lcd monitors first, they always have some great deals.

from pchardwarehelp.com "CRT's are all but obsolete with quality ones almost impossible to find, so they really offer no advantage over current LCD displays."

bomberboysk

It depends on the use, if you can get a high quality CRT then it is still going to be superior to an lcd, so yes there is still somewhat of a value if you can get a good one. If you just need a cheap display for a secondary computer or something... even then a cheaper crt is a good value, and can be had for free off sites like craigslist alot of the time.

Last edited:

bengal85

yeah well I actually have a friend that has one and I was wondering if they were worth anything so that I dont rip him off its not an LCD I dont think or at least thats what he said

Jamin43

banned
I have a CRT monitor from an old PC. I still use it for a backup PC so I don't have to swap cords. I wouldn't purchase one today - but for free - it works fine.

My current monitor is a 22" 1080p Asus that i got for 109 after 2 rebates - if you follow hot deal sites - you can get em pretty regularly for $139.00. I don't think you can touch that with a CRT - in terms of pic quality - or price for a monitor that size.

bengal85

OK cool well you guys have answered all of my questions. So then if there was a type of flat LCD monitor to look for what brand would I go with

bomberboysk

I have a CRT monitor from an old PC. I still use it for a backup PC so I don't have to swap cords. I wouldn't purchase one today - but for free - it works fine.

My current monitor is a 22" 1080p Asus that i got for 109 after 2 rebates - if you follow hot deal sites - you can get em pretty regularly for $139.00. I don't think you can touch that with a CRT - in terms of pic quality - or price for a monitor that size.
CRT's still cannot be beat as far as picture quality and image quality(well, if you get a high end one...the cheaper ones arent as good), but lcd offers the advantages of no radiation, less power usage, cheaper, etc. A crt has basically the truest whites and truest blacks you can get, although that will soon probably change when oled displays come to market.
OK cool well you guys have answered all of my questions. So then if there was a type of flat LCD monitor to look for what brand would I go with
For the best possible quality? An NEC with an IPS panel($1000 or so for a 22"),but for the price? An asus is great, Samsung is a little better but costs a little more.

Last edited:

bomberboysk

I thought you would say asus
Asus makes great displays for the price, but they use TN panels, and at the higher end only something like an IPS panel will display the truest colors possible(very expensive). CRT will have the best actual blacks/whites/colors/etc though, although as i said earlier, oled is changing that. If you spend more than say, an asus though, samsung has some very nice displays, but most if not all of the samsung displays also use TN panels.

604action

It's hard to find places
3f4366aeb9c157cf9a30c90693eafc55.jpg