Monitor wont detect custom PC.

HellFox

So I have built by computer, I turn it on, it seems to work fine. The lights on the mobo turn on, the fan spins, it seems fine. I have a Acer H236HL HDMI/VGA/DVI monitor. I plug the HDMI cable into the mobo and monitor and turn both of them on and the monitor displays "No signal detected." I have tried both VGA and HDMI with no such luck.

The computer has a blank 275GB SSD plugged into a SATA 6Gb/s port. I have a 2TB External HDD plugged into my custom PC with the contents of Windows recovery disk on it, but I know the custom PC won't boot into windows because it shuts off immediately after pressing the power button. I have tested my monitor on a different computer and it works fine, but it never detects the PC until it has booted into windows. Also, at present, my graphics card's fan is not spinning, but I am not terribly worried about it right now because I am not connecting my monitor to my GPU.

Custom Build Parts:
CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Team - Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: Crucial - MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB SC GAMING Video Card
Case: Apevia - X-SNIPER2-RD ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

I know I'm not properly booting my computer into windows, and I have a big hunch that's the problem.

Thank you kindly,
HellFox

Jiniix

Your motherboard has connectors for monitors, but you don't have an integrated GPU in your CPU. They will be released later this year. Your PC will only work with a dedicated GPU, which you must plug the cables in to.
But I assume you figured that out by getting something on the monitors as per your second post.
And if you build the PC yourself, the disks will be blank. With blank disks, Windows can format them no problem. I, however, prefer creating my partitions before booting the Windows ISO.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You have to plug in the power cable or cables into your video card in order to get video.

HellFox

Your motherboard has connectors for monitors, but you don't have an integrated GPU in your CPU. They will be released later this year. Your PC will only work with a dedicated GPU, which you must plug the cables in to.
But I assume you figured that out by getting something on the monitors as per your second post.
And if you build the PC yourself, the disks will be blank. With blank disks, Windows can format them no problem. I, however, prefer creating my partitions before booting the Windows ISO.

I have plugged the 1060 into the PSU and it's in the PCI-E x16 slot. I still have not gotten an image on my monitor. The 1060 only has DVI cables, which I do not currently have, are you saying I need to plug directly into the 1060 in order to get a picture on my monitor?

I have tried creating a bootable USB to setup my OS, but I still have no picture on my monitor. The bootable USB is on a 2TB external HDD, does it have to be on a USB stick?

I seem to recall being able to boot from an external HD. Also, I cannot change the boot order because I can't get into the BIOS settings, because I have no monitor. So, even if the boot disk was working, I would have no way of knowing.

Also, how can I partition the SSD in my computer without visuals?

EDIT: "GPU LED" light turns on after a few seconds. I have a hunch I need to plug directly into the GPU with a DVI cable? Can anyone confirm or deny this.

Thank you kindly,
HellFox

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
are you saying I need to plug directly into the 1060 in order to get a picture on my monitor?
Yes. You need dvi cable. Once you do that, you'll get video output and can install windows. I would also create a bootable usb flash with the windows ISO on it.

Last edited: