More/different memory ???'s

epson

Currently have 256Meg pc2700 DDR card in a Dell Dimension 3000.
My questions are:

To get 512 Meg would it run faster with an additional 256 card or just put in a 512 card. To put it another way would 2-256 meg cards run faster than one 512 card?

I have shopped around and Kingston, Crucial, Micron are well known names. Best Buy also has something made by K-Byte and other brands I've not heard of. Is the lesser known brand also lesser quality(performance) than the name brands?

funkymonky8u

well i just bought a 512 and i origanaly had 256 and u should buy 2 512's for dual channel if u have it but im not an expert on these and the same ive heard about 2 256's o ya and do not use best buy they are way overpriced and its liek 40 bucks to nstall a ram card its so dumb use newegg.com and just look for a cheap one there all besicaly the same and if ones better than the other its prob only cuz there sellin u an overclocked one

Last edited:

Greg J.

VIP Member
Lesser known brands are usually worse in quality because they steer in the generic direction. Crucial has a decent price and seems to be fairly compatible on Dells. Get a single 512 MB stick because it is cheaper. If it doesn't work, Crucial should be happy to accept your return through their system to credit you back. If crucial won't work, you'll probably have to call Dell for your RAM. Also, you should have no problems installing ALL your RAM sticks.

funkymonky8u

ya and i see ur rating (and yes my rating is all that good either but still) and dont pay some store like best buy or something to install ur ram just click the clips outward and just push the new ram stick straight dow into the slot and and the clips so just go in by themselves. :) just tryin to be a lil helpful