MORE Problems PLEASE help!

Comp_Newb

well i havent use my pc because of the error im getting lately, i have a dell Rep check into that for me.

Today i went to retrieve a few pics from my dell 8400 80gb 2 512's of memory windows XP Home Edition Pentium 4...and it sounded like it was booting fine all the lites blinked like usual but the screen stayed to stand by then you here the fan boot up and it slowly speeds up and for some reason it keeps speeding up souning like a plane taking off or sounding like its ready to explode, its a real abnoxiously loud noise and air is blowin outta that thing like its a fan in my living room, and the PC never boots the lite by the power botton stays green and the lite on the screen stays to stand-by is this worth fixing or no?
Jeff

lhoney2

I'd unplug all the fans, then start the computer up and see if it boots. If it does, it's a simple matter of replacing the fans.

salman

Hmm I'm pretty sure that its not actually the fans that are causing the problem;

1) What was the error message you was getting before
2) Have you tried a different monitor
3) Have you tried clearing the CMOS

My Dell used to do that when I would shut it down and I would start back up, and the hot Prescott CPU would get that heatsink warm. When I started it back up, the fan behind the CPU heatsink would accelerate quickly and stay loud for a couple minutes. The fan MIGHT be normal... By the way Dell's CPU heatsinks are absolute crap, they're like double thick sheets of aluminum foil with bolts horizontally with spacers. Why don't they put CM coolers like most companies did back in the Win98 days?

lhoney2

Hmm I'm pretty sure that its not actually the fans that are causing the problem;

Fans, especially cheap ones are VERY likely to fail. I've gone through quite a few cheap fans in the past. One was on the CPU heatsink. One was on a videocard. It's not necessarily the problem in this case, but I think unplugging the fans is THE place to start for sure.

Comp_Newb

well i haven't used the pc in a week or so and it was off the whole time and when i went to get pics it done this.
The error i get is pasted below, it turns to a blue screen with white writing stating that it has shut the pc down to prevent damages ect...
Ill definately try unpluging the cpu fan which is acting up an let you guys know what happens, i have a feeling its more damage than just the fan. So what do you all think is wrong if its not the fan? p.s i have never herd the fan speed up as much as it did yesterday.
Jeff

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you have seen this Stop error screen. restart your computer. If this screen appears again Follow these steps:
Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new Installation ask your hardware software Manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.
If problems continue disable or remove any newly installed haedware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shaddowing. If you need to use the safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press the F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x00008086 (0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
Begenning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system Administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

paratwa

Do you have a raid set up?

That error code links to an error in a raid set up. See if your motherboard has an update to new drivers for your raid chip.

Blackcobra

my sister got the BSOD (blue screen of death) on her laptop a while ago when she was trying to move some videos from ipod to computer. it happened twice but hasn't happened again. try opening up ur pictures again and see if u get the same error. and the fans r probably just trying to cool the system down b/c the system is usually overworked when u get the BSOD.

salman

Fans, especially cheap ones are VERY likely to fail. I've gone through quite a few cheap fans in the past. One was on the CPU heatsink. One was on a videocard. It's not necessarily the problem in this case, but I think unplugging the fans is THE place to start for sure.

I doubt the fans would actually cause the system not to start up correctly but if you wish try it anyway I could be wrong. Have you tried clearing the CMOS yet?

Comp_Newb

UPDATE:

I went to the pc and turned it on first time it didnt speed up like usual but i turned it off and back on and it done it again, is the fan connected to the motherboard? all i know is i seen a wire coming from beneath the fan so i turned it off and unplugged it and it turned the power to the fan off. So its not the fan guys.

Blackcobra

did u get the BSOD again after u unpluggled the fan? how did u test whether it was the fan or not after u disconnected it? sometimes the fan just likes to cool down the processor (no harm in that).

Comp_Newb

here is a review on my pc, i believe i have the same one, only thing upgraded is 2 512's of memory.
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-dimension-8400-pentium/4507-3118_7-30919189.html

I turned it on the pc didnt boot, i opened it and done the same thing. I unplugged the fan that lies below the power supply and turned it on and it still didnt boot up

EVERYONE your telling me to go to my pictures, your telling me to look for updates for the mother board ect... I can not get the PC to boot so i cant do any of that.

Last edited:

paratwa

Look at my last post, it might help you out, I think we posted at the same time so you probably did not see it. Plus I edited it.

paratwa

well i havent use my pc because of the error im getting lately, i have a dell Rep check into that for me.

Today i went to retrieve a few pics from my dell 8400 80gb 2 512's of memory windows XP Home Edition Pentium 4...and it sounded like it was booting fine all the lites blinked like usual but the screen stayed to stand by then you here the fan boot up and it slowly speeds up and for some reason it keeps speeding up souning like a plane taking off or sounding like its ready to explode, its a real abnoxiously loud noise and air is blowin outta that thing like its a fan in my living room, and the PC never boots the lite by the power botton stays green and the lite on the screen stays to stand-by is this worth fixing or no?
Jeff

Looked like a dell you were talking about to me.

What is your laptop then...

Oops, hmm I am so dense at times, I see your point. Let me check on something, brb.

Comp_Newb

sorry if you misunderstood, yes its my dell that is acting up, i am now on my HP lap top using the net ect..the dell will not boot up, so how would that link help me.?

paratwa

Just something to try, might or might not work. Try removing your cmos battery and clearing your bio's back to defaults.

Also try removing 1 stick of ram, try to reboot, it it works fine, if not replace the ram and remove the other stick. Of course placing the ram in slot 1 of the motherboard.

Do you have an emergency back up disk? If so place that in your drive and see if you can boot from that. Or your system disk that came with your system. See if you can do a repair install from it.

If that works then update from that link.

Another question, did you change anything prior to this happening?