More than 4 gig of ram or not ?

unsuspected

Hi, my friend non stop telling me its a must to have 8 gig of ram for a quad core, right now i have 4 gig 1066 (4X1G OCZ Reaper) should i stick whit it ?

Im getting the Phenom IIX4 965 black edition and running whit a ATI Radeon HD 3870.

My PC is nearly purely for gaming and i would like to play the new games on it.

Bodaggit23

It's not a limit, it's just unlikely that you'll use up to or more than that, unless you're Folding@Home or, I've heard some Photoshop applications are memory intensive also.

For general use and moderate gaming, 4Gigs is plenty.

linkin

VIP Member
If you have 2GB, and you go to 4GB, you will notice a huge improvement. Let me explain this a bit better from my experience:

Loadings times in games are about ~30% better across the board. (i tested with crysis, gta4, dirt2)

Windows will be generally more responsive, especially on startup/logon

When exiting demanding apps/games (gta4 for example) you won't be sitting around waiting for it to unload.

You will notice that windows will use more ram, but if it uses 25-30% on idle that is normal

You will notice your HDD will have less activity, because page file/virtual ram will not be used as much.

On another note, if you have GTA4, it benefits most from a better cpu (it is maxing out both cores on my dualcore :eek: )

Twist86

I run Windows 7 and Vista and I have NEVER seen my ram go above 3GB and this is while I was trying to hit 4GB of ram.

Normally with games I never pass 2GB. The only exception is with GTA4 which can be made to use all memory available.

I think 8GB is overkill though.

On another note, if you have GTA4, it benefits most from a better cpu (it is maxing out both cores on my dualcore :eek: )

Yeah It is set for 3 cores. Though if its coding didn't suck a dual-core would be just fine for it.

linkin

VIP Member
I run Windows 7 and Vista and I have NEVER seen my ram go above 3GB and this is while I was trying to hit 4GB of ram.

Normally with games I never pass 2GB. The only exception is with GTA4 which can be made to use all memory available.

I think 8GB is overkill though.

Yeah It is set for 3 cores. Though if its coding didn't suck a dual-core would be just fine for it.

When my internet is uncapped, i will look into those graphics mods that supposedly improve performance :)

Last edited:

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
ROFL!Who the hell needs that much RAM loooool?
Unsuspected...4 GB of RAM is much more then enough.Those who tell you that you need to have 8 GB of RAM because you have QUAD-CORE is bullshit!
Trust me.You don't need 8 GB of RAM unless you are programming games and running thousands of processes in the same time...

No matter what you do or what you try to do,you will NEVER use ALL 4 GB of RAM at once.And you know why?BECAUSE 4 GB OF RAM IS VERY MUCH AND THOSE WHO TELL YOU THAT YOU NEED 8 GB OF RAM BECAUSE YOU HAVE QUAD-CORE IS HUGE BULLSHIT AND THEY MUST BE IDIOTS WHO DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT COMPUTERS.Tell your friend to learn a little bit about computers before saying stupid things.No offence of course ;)

Cheers mate!

Bodaggit23

No offence of course ;)

You should speak for yourself, and lay off the heavy language. :good:

MAXXED.jpg

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
You should speak for yourself, and lay off the heavy language. :good:

I apologize one more time.I just wanted to let you know that what your friend told you just isn't the truth.By the way...MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!:D

Moderators please delete the previous duplicated post.I accidently made the mistake in QUOTING xD

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
You won't need 4 gigs for quite a while.

Exactly!This is what most people don't understand.I met many people who said they will buy more RAM because their Windows OS lags on 4 GB of RAM.ROFL!If it lags on so much RAM then they don't know how to use computers lol xD My computer works like charm on just 512 MB of RAM DDR1 even under Windows Vista then their computers on 4 GB of RAM DDR3 and if to them their computers lags on 4 GB of RAM then they simply just don't know how to use computers.Its as simple as that lol...:D

Bodaggit23

hehe nice bodaggit, lol...

Hey what were you doing to use up all that ram?

Folding@Home. :good:

Also,
This is the "Multi Quote" button.
MultiQuoteEdit.jpg

If you want to reply to more than one post, simply click this
button on each post you want to reply to, then click "Post Reply".

This will put all your replies into one post, rather than having
2 or 3 posts, each one minute apart. ;)

Moderators please delete the previous duplicated post.I accidently made the mistake in QUOTING xD

You can delete your own posts...Just Click "Edit", and you'll see the "Delete" button in the lower right corner, next to "Save" and "Go Advanced".

unsuspected

I thank everyone for there reply !

That made me think to, keep my 4g of ram and if i ever get to use over 4gig then ill get 2X2g ram bar and have a total of 6gig of ram and i will be fine, but 8 gig isnt a must for a quad core and its simply to much and wont be used whit my normal gaming and every day stuff :D

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Folding@Home. :good:

Also,
This is the "Multi Quote" button.
MultiQuoteEdit.jpg

If you want to reply to more than one post, simply click this
button on each post you want to reply to, then click "Post Reply".

This will put all your replies into one post, rather than having
2 or 3 posts, each one minute apart. ;)

You can delete your own posts...Just Click "Edit", and you'll see the "Delete" button in the lower right corner, next to "Save" and "Go Advanced".

LoL I feel so stupid xD.Thanks for the info xD

I thank everyone for there reply !

That made me think to, keep my 4g of ram and if i ever get to use over 4gig then ill get 2X2g ram bar and have a total of 6gig of ram and i will be fine, but 8 gig isnt a must for a quad core and its simply to much and wont be used whit my normal gaming and every day stuff :D

Exactly!I am sure you have never used ALL 4 GB of RAM xD.So no...you do not need so much RAM :p

Rit

Noob Question! So if your computer will hypothetically reach a max usage of 4GB. And all I do on my computer is "homework" with the occasional gaming... Would it be better to get 'higher' quality 2GB memory over a 'lower' quality 4GB?