More than 4 gig of ram or not ?

Bodaggit23

Noob Question! So if your computer will hypothetically reach a max usage of 4GB. And all I do on my computer is "homework" with the occasional gaming... Would it be better to get 'higher' quality 2GB memory over a 'lower' quality 4GB?

Ultimately, more RAM is better than faster RAM. Generally.

unsuspected

cpu-z telling me NB Frequency 2006.1 mhz and dram frequency is 334.4 thats sound ok ? hm.. now that i look into the SPD option i got some rams running at 2x 270 1x 333 and 1x 533 i must have misconfigured some stuff in bios

If you got it to 535Mhz, you're done.

DDR2 is Dual Data Rate 2, thus 535Mhz x 2 = 1070Mhz effective. :good:

So this is right? Mine is 4gb of ddr3 1600

Ramtest.png

tlarkin

VIP Member
You should speak for yourself, and lay off the heavy language. :good:

MAXXED.jpg

Can you post that same pic with a sample of services you are running? I can make any system use all it's RAM, but it's not always practical. Hell, just leave firefox open for 2 weeks and it will eventually leak out and eat up several gigs of memory.

For average use, and I consider gaming average use, 4gigs of RAM is plenty. Now, RAM is cheap, and having more RAM won't hurt necessarily, but it won't help either.

It just depends on many different factors of usage.

I went into the bios and messed with one setting and got this.

mem1600.png

So even though it is ddr3 i still multiply the dram by 2? Not 3?

803.7 x 2 = 1607.4 or 1600mhz?

EDIT:
I have windows 7 and now when I go to "computer" and "properties", it says I have 4gb ram installed but only 3.25 is usable. It never said that before.

ALSO MY MEMORY OPERATIONS PER SECOND ON THE WINDOWS EXPERIENCE INDEX WENT FROM A 7.5 TO A 5.9

Last edited:

Bodaggit23

Can you post that same pic with a sample of services you are running? I can make any system use all it's RAM, but it's not always practical.

I don't need to post pics of the services running, because I already stated I was Folding@Home, and that wasn't the point.

I was referring to the blanket statement made by this gentleman:
No matter what you do or what you try to do,you will NEVER use ALL 4 GB of RAM at once

So even though it is ddr3 i still multiply the dram by 2? Not 3?
It's Dual Data Rate memory. Same applies for DDR2.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
yes but he meant that as an average user, in response to what the OP was asking about their use of the computer and their friend saying that they needed 8 gigs of RAM. At least that was the assumption I was making, but I could be wrong.

I figured you were most likely running Folding as the CPU was maxed out completely, which doesn't really reflect 'average' computer use is all.

I think that STARS should have chose their words a bit better though as it does kind of come off as a blanketed statement.

I agree with you that 8gigs of RAM can definitely be used but folding I would not consider to be on par with average usage, or even hard core gaming.