most cpu for the money

TimGodsil

i am going to spend at the most 120 dollars for a cpu

I know amd's can easily be overclocked.

I know nothing about l1,l2,l3 cache, It has something to do with like ram for the cpu or something.

So i am looking for the best option for a sub 120 dollar cpu that can be overclocked higher. I dont know if I should get dual core or quad core, help.

Drenlin

The i3 supposedly has some pretty awesome overclocking capabilities:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115222

There's also a Phenom II X3 BE OEM version for $109. Triple core. It should overclock well. You have a good chance of unlocking it to a quad core if your motherboard supports it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103652

If you want a quad core, Newegg has an Athlon II x4 for $112. Won't overclock as well as the other two, but it's already pretty fast as-is.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103704

Honestly, unless you're doing some really heavy stuff, you probably won't need to OC any of those.

anbo369

If you want a quad core, Newegg has an Athlon II x4 for $112. Won't overclock as well as the other two, but it's already pretty fast as-is.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103704

if he was to go for a quad i don't think he would need that one. because he could buy the athlon II 620.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...06&cm_re=athlon_x4_620-_-19-103-706-_-Product
apparently this can overclock to 3.2Ghz everything stock. so he could put the money he saves into some good cooling and then get a very nice over clock.

just my opinion

StrangleHold

Staff member
For under 120. The Phenom II 720BE or the Phenom 550BE. Have a (chance) that either one, probable more so with the 720, that it can be unlocked to a quad.

Or like said above the Athlon II 630.

Edit
Just noticed they jumped the price of the 720 to 155 bucks retail but the OEM is 110 . Think the reason is the 720 and 550 are being dropped for a 555BE and 740BE

Last edited:

TimGodsil

For under 120. The Phenom II 720BE or the Phenom 550BE. Have a (chance) that either one, probable more so with the 720, that it can be unlocked to a quad.

Or like said above the Athlon II 630.

Edit
Just noticed they jumped the price of the 720 to 155 bucks retail but the OEM is 110 . Think the reason is the 720 and 550 are being dropped for a 555BE and 740BE

Um how can you unlock a dual core into a quad?

a dual and quad core are two diffrent cpus

Drenlin

Some of AMD's dual core cpu's, and ALL of their triple core cpu's, are actually quad cores that have had a core locked because it either didn't pass a factory test, or the market was better for a lower end cpu.

StrangleHold

Staff member

Phenom X3 and Phenom II X2 and X3 are all quads with disabled cores. If you have the right board with a SB710 and above with ACC you have a (chance) of unlocking the cores if they are not bad.

Stoic Sentinel

Phenom X3 and Phenom II X2 and X3 are all quads with disabled cores. If you have the right board with a SB710 and above with ACC you have a (chance) of unlocking the cores if they are not bad.

Either disabled or defective, they're not always unlockable (yes, I you wrote that in there. I was just pointing that out.)

Aastii

VIP Member
Either disabled or defective, they're not always unlockable (yes, I you wrote that in there. I was just pointing that out.)

let's be nitpicky :p they are always unlockable with the right board, but not always worth keeping unlocked due to a bad core causeing system instability :p

oh and a big +1 for the 720. Loving mine so far. Was perfroming very well at a tri core but is killing everything I throw at it with the 4th core unlocked

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member

AMD yields rate are pretty good. I'll say it if nobody else will. There is no way to have anywhere near enough stock of Phenom II X2/3 with bad cores for supply sales. Its really the other way around, its rare to get one that doesnt (that is the 550/720) and the % is even higher with the 720. Never installed a 720 that would not unlock, had one 710 that didnt.

Most of the really bad cores are probably used up more with the lowerend ones, 545/700e/705e/710/Athlon II, even the B75/B73/B55 and B53 busines class that you know there not going to unlock or overclock.

elitejp

The one thing that is pushig me towards liking the amd chip over the intel is their backwards compatability. Which in my thinking says that I can buy an am3 motherboard and when the new chips come out that are all the rage i could just pop it into the am3 board no problem. Intel tends to change their chip architecture, which in my opinion allows them to run faster chips because they are totally redesigning things, but also requires you to buy a new mobo. And if you fatcor in the cost of a new mobo along with an intel chip you could have gotten a very good amd chip for that price rather than a so so intel chip. maybe some others can jump in and tell me if im wrong.

Im personally leaning towards the x4 620 because i like the benefit of quad and dont plan on trying to overclock.