Most important cashe memory or hyperthreading?

Im about to get a new computer (dell inspiron 9100) and im choosing between two processors:

1 P4 3 GHz with HT 512 kb cache
2 P4 2,8 Ghz 1MB cache minne without HT

which one is the best, i usually play games like battlefield

Dart81

3240 said:
Im about to get a new computer (dell inspiron 9100) and im choosing between two processors:

1 P4 3 GHz with HT 512 kb cache

which one is the best, i usually play games like battlefield

I think that P4 2,8 Ghz 1MB cache is better in any case.....because there is a little difference from 2.8 and 3 GHz (the performances are nearly the same....only about 7% in difference...), but from 512K to 1M for the cache there is a big increasing of quality! :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I'll second that... you can OC the 2.8's to the same limit as the 3.0 and even the 3.2Ghz chips so the clock speed isnt a problem. Also, there isnt a game out there that has a minimum spec above 2Ghz yet so you'll be fine. :) Of course now that I see you're running a Dell, you wont be able to OC it (much) but that wont be a problem, the extra 512K of cache will be more than enough coimpensation for the 200Mhz difference :)

laxma

Praetor, i recalled that you once said about avoiding prescott. I was wondering why? Is it bad, because i'm planning to build an intel-based PC with prescott.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I just reread this.... unless I'm horribly mistaken there is no 2.8Ghz chip shipping with 1MB of L2 and not having HT..... well not a P4C at anyrate.

Praetor, I recalled that you once said about avoiding prescott. I was wondering why? Is it bad, because i'm planning to build an intel-based PC with prescott.
1. Too much heat for not enough performance gains to account for it (especially so since the Prescott is built off a smaller, more heat conscious core). In short it makes more heat than a 1.4Ghz Thunderbird OCd to 1.9Ghz

2. Too expensive for performance

3. Both the P4C and the A64 chips will either match or surpass the P4E. The AthlonXP, an aging chip can easily be compared to it. That says volumes for performance :)

4. The P4E will pick up however -- but only after cpus breach the 4Ghz stock barrier. The Netburst is very clock speed hungry and it seems 3.x isnt enough for the P4E :)