most modern free os

marsbars162

i'm building a computer and i need a good os that can run it all and maximize my performance. see upcoming build in sig

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
For free your talking Ubuntu linux...But not good for gaming.

I would stick Xp pro SP3 on it but its not free :eek:

Carlton

Ubuntu is a good Linux OS, designed to be easy to use but it's one of the least secure distro's for a new user because the firewall is not enabled by default.

openSuse and Fedora are much more secure. My recommendation is openSuSE, that being said, Fedora has the best community support by a long way.

Cheers

lawson_jl

If you have a router you do not need a software firewall so that's not really an issue. And unlike a software firewall a router can't be turned off. Well it can be turned off but then you have no internet so you don't need to worry a firewall then either.

awildgoose

Go with the Windows 7 RC. I use it and I love it. But next year sometime it ends and you can either downgrade or buy the actual OS, but by then vista should be down on the price-tag.

Carlton

If you have a router you do not need a software firewall so that's not really an issue. And unlike a software firewall a router can't be turned off. Well it can be turned off but then you have no internet so you don't need to worry a firewall then either.

Does a router stop outbound traffic ;)