Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tigger X (mac)

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters

brian

VIP Member
what is the most secure operating system for, viruses, mal-war, hackers, and mic. harm. And no, it does not count if it does not have internet.

Last edited:

_simon_

Is this a joke including 2 MS OS's in that list? I believe the last count was that Windows had 130,000 known viruses.

It depends who you ask, MS insist Vista is the most secure which is a complete joke, Solaris say there's is, we all know Linux beats MS hands down on security and you didn't even add BSD which is supposed to be more secure than Linux!

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
*nix. Put what ever letters you like in front of it. That includes *nux :p

Mac OSX is Linux. Linux, Solaris, AIX, HP-UX and who knows how many other OSs are based on Unix.

brian

VIP Member
ghost just a question. why do you put M$? is there something aganced putting the full thing or is it just because?

Deepblue

The least secure is the most used OS. hackers and virus/malware writers and all that want to infect the most users possible so ofcourse they will hit windows the most used OS. If any other OS had the users that windows does they would target that OS.

I dont think its a matter of the OS being secure as much as it is this point.
I do beleave that linux and other OSs are more secure then windows but if the hackers want to crack it they could and would.

tlarkin

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];725155 said:
I cant believe someone actually voted for Windows XP...

Or vista for that matter

Unix is the most secure to my knowledge and has the least amount of viruses and exploits written for it. I would say OS X is up there as well since it is based off of Unix (free BSD to be exact). Unix and linux are almost the same but they are not the same, if that makes any sense. they are of the same species but not the same breed. Unix has been around for a long time and Linux is kind of it's bastard step child. Since Linux is a bit newer and has other features built into it I think it makes it a bit more vulnerable, also Unix is more of a closed system where as Linux is more of an open source community type OS (even though Unix is also open source, but has stricter licensing) so if a user has more packages and more software from many different configurations and more chances of loading sloppy coded applications which gives Linux a higher chance of being exploited over Unix.

The least secure is the most used OS. hackers and virus/malware writers and all that want to infect the most users possible so ofcourse they will hit windows the most used OS. If any other OS had the users that windows does they would target that OS.

Not entirely true, by nature *nix OSes are more secure simply by design. The Kernel is a locked down layer of the OS which is not touchable by any type of application, software, driver, etc. It controls the hardware on a low level, so nothing has direct access to the kernel or the hardware. Instead processes run at certain levels and are given permissions through the shell, making it much more secure by nature. Windows is very poorly coded when comparing it to a *nix system on a security comparison.

Bradan

I dont think its a matter of the OS being secure as much as it is this point.
I do beleave that linux and other OSs are more secure then windows but if the hackers want to crack it they could and would.

exactly what i meant. sorry for double post. sorry for not reading anything.

_simon_

Or vista for that matter

Unix is the most secure to my knowledge and has the least amount of viruses and exploits written for it. I would say OS X is up there as well since it is based off of Unix (free BSD to be exact). Unix and linux are almost the same but they are not the same, if that makes any sense. they are of the same species but not the same breed. Unix has been around for a long time and Linux is kind of it's bastard step child. Since Linux is a bit newer and has other features built into it I think it makes it a bit more vulnerable, also Unix is more of a closed system where as Linux is more of an open source community type OS (even though Unix is also open source, but has stricter licensing) so if a user has more packages and more software from many different configurations and more chances of loading sloppy coded applications which gives Linux a higher chance of being exploited over Unix.

Not entirely true, by nature *nix OSes are more secure simply by design. The Kernel is a locked down layer of the OS which is not touchable by any type of application, software, driver, etc. It controls the hardware on a low level, so nothing has direct access to the kernel or the hardware. Instead processes run at certain levels and are given permissions through the shell, making it much more secure by nature. Windows is very poorly coded when comparing it to a *nix system on a security comparison.

^ what he said.

Windows users always pull that one... "if Linux had more users it would be just as insecure." It's simply not true!

Lots of companies and web services run on *nix based systems, so the users are already there...