Motherboard/BIOS password?

Sherlock_34

Okay, my late aunt used to have this Toshiba laptop with her all the time. A year after her death, my grandmother gave the laptop to me, telling me that it had no use for her anyway. Upon opening the laptop, I found out that it was password-protected, and my late aunt didn't give any information about it.

So we sent it to a computer repair shop here in town, and the technician said that even he could not bypass the password, because the password was in the BIOS, or motherboard, if I recall it right. And so he's researching online on ways to possibly bypass, or reset the BIOS password. And since I have found some good help here myself, can somebody who knows how to reset the password help me?

tremmor

i would think they would know. Only ones i know of is admin or maybe administrator. Did ya try taking out the battery (button like 2032). Leave out for about 10min. Hold the power button in also. make sure the power is unplugged. Then try again.

strollin

From what I have read removing the battery won't work for Toshiba laptops because they store the pw in a special security chip. Try this link.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It won't be free, but you most likely will have to call toshiba and ask support for the backdoor bios password to access the machine.

One thing to try would be the word Toshiba.

Sherlock_34

So you're saying there is no easy way (software, floppy disk workarounds, etc) ?
I live in a province and there is no Toshiba shop here, not even in the nearest commercial region. I would have to go to the capital for that. Haha. No disrespect intended.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Try typing the word Toshiba when asked for the bios password and see if it works.

tremmor

Thats about all there is. if ya can't call goto the website and click on services and support for your model. Worse case email for support.

NyxCharon

I had a similar problem with a Dell computer i was working on. Reset it multiple times, and even then the default password wouldn't work. If i remember right i removed the pswd jumper from the mobo and it became unlocked, no longer required a password.