Motherboard compatibility question

jc505uk

Thanks, anychance you could post on that would be suitable? Cheap as possbile. Strangely, that existing motherboard has a E4700 in it...

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you truly have an e4700 on that board then you linked to the wrong board. The board you linked to has a 478 socket, so a 775 processor (the E4700) will not work on it.

thesam101

No. your existing is LGA478. won't fit.

Ignoring, for a second, the fact that he said he has an E4700 (becuase it was only mentioned after your post), unless i'm missing something, the original said its socket mPGA478, and the new one is socket 478, which AFAIK are the same thing. What did you mean wouldn't fit? or am i wrong that they are the same thing?

linkin

VIP Member
You can't put a 775 chip in a 478 socket. For one, 775 is LGA (pins on the motherboard) and 478 (pins on the CPU) is PGA, not to mention they have a different number of pins... It won't work.

daisymtc

Ignoring, for a second, the fact that he said he has an E4700 (becuase it was only mentioned after your post), unless i'm missing something, the original said its socket mPGA478, and the new one is socket 478, which AFAIK are the same thing. What did you mean wouldn't fit? or am i wrong that they are the same thing?

I probably read it wrongly...