Motherboard/CPU Troubleshooting

HalfwayDone

I accidentally kicked the power strip powering my desktop out of the wall. When I plugged it back in, my computer wouldn't start. It didn't have any reaction when I tried to power it on, not even giving me a POST beep code. When I replaced the MoBo and CPU, it worked again. I guess the power fault damaged either the CPU or motherboard, but since my other MoBo/CPU combo is a different socket, I can't try replacing one at a time.

I know the motherboard is atleast sending power, because I can plug an external HDD into a usb port and the indicator light comes on. But the fact that I'm not even getting a POST code makes me think it's the motherboard. Anyone have any ideas how I can troubleshoot which one is the issue?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Did you build this yourself? Check to make sure all your power connections are tight on the motherboard, 24 pin and the 4/8 pin cpu connector. You can also try resetting cmos by either using the jumper or removing the cmos battery for about 10 minutes. But its possible that quick shut down did something to the motherboard.

HalfwayDone

I did build it myself. I made sure all the connections were tight, then I even put the motherboard and cpu in a different computer and had the same result. Tried resetting the cmos and got nothing.

Probably time to submit an RMA to Gigabyte. The motherboard is only about 6 months old, so it should still be under warranty. Hopefully the problem is the motherboard and not the CPU.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Generally its the motherboard, cpu's hardly ever go bad. Gigabyte has a 3 year warranty on their motherboards.

OmniDyne

Have you tried pulling the RAM and trying different sticks? It's not unusual for RAM to go bad, especially with power fluctuations like that.

HalfwayDone

I haven't tried different sticks, but I tried removing all but one stick. Unfortunately I don't have any other DDR4 to try in its place. But even if the RAM was bad, I would have expected some kind of POST code from the motherboard, right?