Motherboard for i7-3960X

chuckzwood

I am putting together the specs for my new system, which will be using the i7-3960X, but am not sure which motherboard would be best. Right now, I am thinking of using the ASUS Sabertooth X79. Is this a poor choice? Is there a better motherboard to use??

Any help is appreciated -- thank you!!!

mtb211

Everyone is going to tell you to go with a lighter processor and OC it, if you already own that CPU then yes that is an excellent motherboard.... do you have a budget?

chuckzwood

Everyone is going to tell you to go with a lighter processor and OC it, if you already own that CPU then yes that is an excellent motherboard.... do you have a budget?

After reading many of the replies here, I thought I may get the "you're wasting money" responses, but I am 99% set on that processor ;). Although I am very interested in OC'ing a system, I do not want to do this for the first time on my main computer (which this will be), but will play around OC'ing with a secondary system at some point in the future.

Yes, I have a budget, but it is flexible if the money spent increases performance, usefulness, and/or longevity! Any suggestions??

Thank you for posting!

Laquer Head

Go with the i7-3930K, save 400 bucks, and get an ASUS Rampage IV, for 100 more.

Better solution, and your not paying out the ass for the extreme cpu.

chuckzwood

Go with the i7-3930K, save 400 bucks, and get an ASUS Rampage IV, for 100 more.

Better solution, and your not paying out the ass for the extreme cpu.

Funny you mention the 3930 -- I was just comparing some benchmark results. What motherboard would you recommend for the 3930?

Laquer Head

Funny you mention the 3930 -- I was just comparing some benchmark results. What motherboard would you recommend for the 3930?

Either the sabertooth or the rampage iv.. both high end and loaded with features,

However, they both offer dual 16x pcie slots for sli. If you dont plan to run multiple gpu's, then go with the cheaper asus boards, like an ASUS P9X79 PRO

Laquer Head

jesus are you seriously OCing that high? what do you get stable?

Yup, thats what I can run stable with the setup in my sig, 5.1 will crash out very fast.

I ran 5.007 on prime 95 for over 48 hours and it was perfectly fine.

That being said, I have my rig at 4.8 right now, and thats where I leave it for

chuckzwood

Either the sabertooth or the rampage iv.. both high end and loaded with features,

However, they both offer dual 16x pcie slots for sli. If you dont plan to run multiple gpu's, then go with the cheaper asus boards, like an ASUS P9X79 PRO

At this time, I don't see the need to run more than one GPU, but always like upgrading options to be open for the future. Thank you for the recommendations!!!

Spesh

I was just about to say the world record is held by a Celeron processor.......

And a fair bit of LN2