Motherboard got burnt

RyzZ

Good afternoon,

Soo.. I build first time pc, after some time I realize that fans spinning too fast without doing nothing. Solution was connect fans to MOBO, then MOBO can control the speed of fans. So I did it. Connected 4 case fans in to one mobo chip (sys fan5 pump), tried tun on the pc, and then it shut down after 2-3 sec. I was able to smell burning. I took every part out to find out where exactly it was burnt and i found it was burnt at the same spot where i pluged in the cable with fans. In front i looked that its nothing happened but at the back i was able to see some black burnt spots. So. Can you guys tell why this happened? And.. Could other parts be damaged aswell? CPU, RAM etc. I hope you will understand what I wanted to say. Thank you. MOBO: Gigabyte aorus x470.

_Pete_

You probably drew too much current through the piddly little connectors that these people build into their boards. I would put it all back together without the fans or reconnect the fans to the original point. They cannot run too fast per se. They might be noisy but they will still be fanning and running it like this for a short while will be okay. Anyway if it all works then you haven't damaged anything important. If it doesn't run then you have broken it. It's then a matter of substituting bits to find out which bit is broken, more than likely the motherboard but could be the power supply. This is an expensive way to fault find unless you are a computer supplier with lots of spares or have some sophisticated and expensive test equipment.

RyzZ

You probably drew too much current through the piddly little connectors that these people build into their boards. I would put it all back together without the fans or reconnect the fans to the original point. They cannot run too fast per se. They might be noisy but they will still be fanning and running it like this for a short while will be okay. Anyway if it all works then you haven't damaged anything important. If it doesn't run then you have broken it. It's then a matter of substituting bits to find out which bit is broken, more than likely the motherboard but could be the power supply. This is an expensive way to fault find unless you are a computer supplier with lots of spares or have some sophisticated and expensive test equipment.
Thanks for your answer. I can't turn it on and test it, because I did it 2 times. First time with pluged cable, then second time without it. Second time i saw more "light" who came from MOBO. I don't think that it would be a good idea to turn it on again. I know probably mobo will not gonna work anymore, but the most important thing for me is if other components are working still. Then I can just replace the MOBO.

_Pete_

Well unless you can plug the other components into another computer or you get another mobo to try them in or you invest in some expensive test equipment you wont know. I'm afraid that the only way for people like you and I is to bite the bullet and replace the bits you think have broken. Then put it all back together and try again crossing all your fingers and toes etc and hoping nothing goes bang.

RyzZ

You connected 4 fans to one motherboard fan header? With a splitter?

Can you provide pictures?
So.. I was concultating with one person from computers shop. He was able to find out the problem.. The problem was my stupid "perfect" knowledge about building pc. Instead of plugging fans directly to mobo, I connected an extension cable with molex from psu(because it were connected with fans(stupid)) and connected to mobo, instead of little cables from fans with 3 pins directly to mobo. Thats what caused little spark and mobo were fried... Now I hope that nothing were damaged. EDIT: I was able to test GPU.. works fine.

Last edited: