Motherboard Install Question

kermit

I'm installing a motherboard and I was told that it would have thermal paste with it and I'm not seeing any with the board or new processor. I was also told that to install my Volcano9 fan that I will need thermal tape but the man doesn't appear to have any.

Do I need to get this paste and tape or can I get by without.

4W4K3

VIP Member
tape = no
paste = yes

i never heard of TAPING a fan on...all u need it screws or a bracket. the paste is for the heatsink/CPU and u need that. artic silver 5 will run you a few $ at almost any computer store i believe.

kermit

My CPU cooler will not fit on my motherboard. I got the Volcano9 and it's way to big I cannot raise the bar to snap it onto the board. The CPU cooler that came with my CPU will not fit either. It's a little too big. What gives? I got the ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard.

4W4K3

VIP Member
kermit said:
My CPU cooler will not fit on my motherboard. I got the Volcano9 and it's way to big I cannot raise the bar to snap it onto the board. The CPU cooler that came with my CPU will not fit either. It's a little too big. What gives? I got the ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard.

huh? now im confused. you use the bar on the board to snap in the processor...not the HSF. am i jsut reading this wrong or does it sound liek hes trying to fit the HS into the socket? that would be funny lol.

kermit

LOL! I think you're right sorry. I'm a noob. I'm going to go buy some thermal paste because my processor requires, Radio shack is the only place that carries it.

I'll be back in about 30 minutes. You guys are really helpful. Thanks.

6:00 mountain standard.

kermit

No. It CPU cooler looked really big so I put it the motherboard to see how I would get it to fit. But I failed to recognize that I must first install the CPU and then put on the fan.

kermit

Right now I got the motherboard on. I'm going to go buy some thermal paste and then get the CPU you.

I don't know what to do next. Hardrive perhaps?

After you get the motherboard and CPU on what is the next step?

4W4K3

VIP Member
i never go in order...i just install what it closest. but i would say install all add/on cards, then hd's and cdroms, then ram, then plug it all in and all that. i dont think it matters.

jesbax

you might want to put the memory in. IS the motherboard in the case yet if not you might want to do that first and plug your mother board in. then you can start putting the hard drive in then you cd-rom (cd-r, cd-rw, dvd-rom).