Motherboard Internet Format Problem

MrNah

Hey all,
Just reformatted a computer and ran into a problem while installing windows xp media edition. At about 18 minutes remaining it asked for a service pack 2 cd in which I didn't have. So I skipped it, it was just looking for the internet explorer. So once the installation was finished all thats missing was internet explorer. When I broke open the case to check out what kind of motherboard it was there was no label in sight. So I downloaded and installed cpuz and it said that my motherboard was a 760GX-m. I went to download all the drivers but even after installing the Lan Driver (Realtek 10/100/1000 PCI NIC Family Driver) I cant get any internet. What Am I missing. Without any internet I cant update windows, and get this computer rolling again. Any suggestions or ideas would be well appreciated and tried.
Thanks a lot,
MrNah

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What was the problem that you had to reinstall windows? It also sounds like you aren't doing a fresh install as a fresh install wouldn't ask you to insert a service pack 2 cd. Are you booting to the install cd or running it from within windows?

Was it infected previously? If so, chances are its still infected and thats causing the internet issue. Without more information to go on we could only guess what to tell you do.

MrNah

Had a case of bad ram so when I went to reformat the first time it wouldnt take. So I took out the old ram and put in some new ram and windows installed correctly (or so i thought). I didn't do anything differently then normal. Just popped in the cd, turned on the computer, hit a key to run the disk. deleted the previous partitions then formatted (not quick) and installed windows. Original cd, original key. It wasn't even opened until now.

No not previously infected and no its run from boot not within windows.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Was it the original version of XP, SP1, SP2, or SP3 applied to it? Almost sounds like the old install is still there sort of.

MrNah

wierd.. how do i go about erasing it? and it would have been sp3. and its the original cd. 2 disks though and its all shiney ;)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Can you put the drive in another system as slave and format the drive that way? Also try download the drive makers disk diagnostic utility and run it. You should be able to format it from there as well.

MrNah

Seagate Barracuda 160 GB SATA Internal Hard Drive

I'm installing the same windows on an old laptop I have to see if I come up with the same problems. I'm trying to format i'll let you know in a bit how it turns out.

Just finished formatting the laptop.. and again no internet. I'm so used to just formatting and then using the internet. Why am I having so many problems with this xp? I'm installing the realtek8139 ethernet driver provided by the manufacturer but it wont do anything.

Last edited:

schw32m

Try this procedure and see what you come up with:

1. Go into the BIOS and make sure the lan port is turned on in the BIOS settings.

2. After boot go into the device manager and see if windows has loaded the lan drivers and that the device is showing as operational.

3. If all is good you may need to go and run the internet setup wizard to make sure that windows knows which connection type to use. In this case you need to set "I connect through a LAN" (ipconfig will set the same thing).

From there if everything is good I would start looking at the connections to the 'net. IE make sure you have good cables to router/modem. If you have to, reset the router and modem.

MrNah

K heres the scoop. Couldn't find anything in the bios. but when i went into device manager it shows that my network adapter is there. the realtek one is installed and working. however in other devices right below the network adapter it shows both a ? in multimedia audio controller and network controller. This is obviously my problem and strangely enough its on both the laptop and the desktop I reformatted with the same windows.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You must have an onboard and a dedicated network card on that computer. As far as the laptop goes, windows install hardly ever installs the network driver. You would need to get the driver from the laptop manufacturer.

If you right click on the audio controller with the question mark on it and click on properties, click on the details tab and give me the hardware and vendor id's then we can figure out what it is and get the proper drivers installed, along with the network controller.

MrNah

It says, PCI\\VEN_1039%DEV_7012&SUBSYS_1B251019&REV_A0\3&51AAA01&0&17
Thats the Multimedia Audio Controller

And PCI\\VEN_1814&DEV_0201&SUBSYS_531218EB&REV_01\3&61AAA01&0&85
for the Network Controller

These are both for the desktop computer.

MrNah

Okey so update,
Installed the amit wireless lan pc card and its now working.. however I still dont have internet. I've installed internet explorer 8 but still nothing. I have a ? on the multimedia audio contreoller but i havent finished the realtek download. So Everything is working but somewhere theres a problem. could it be something in msconfig, or somewhere else. I've ran into acouple internet problems like this but I dont know where to start to find the problem. Any suggestions?

O and this is a custom build computer. No dell or anything like that just put together by a computer store.

MrNah

Scary Update.
Found acouple new things to try, when I tried to install the driver for the internet it gave me a error message saying
"The InstallShield Engine (iKernel.exe) could not be launched.

The RPC server is unavailable."

So I found it on google and instructions from another forum website said to run services.msc in windows run and then to find the Dcom service and if it wasn't running to get it running. It of course wasn't running so I started it. However then after 5 minutes it gave me a new error screen that said

"Could not start the DCOM Server Process Launcher service on Local Computer.
Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a
timely fashion"

So I started a new google search and in a different forum I found that I had to repair all system files by going to start/run and type in SFC /SCANNOW. I did this and it prompted me to insert my windows xp cd 1 and it started. However, because there are 2 cd's it prompted me to insert the second one. And this is where I'm stuck and confused. It says its not the right cd!!! They are fresh out of the case. These weren't even used to install the os to begin with the computer store used its own version. Now what? This is all rather confusing.