Motherboard malfunctioning?

asven

So I've noticed that my computer would randomly stop working and audio would stop working. My keyboard would stop working and everything would just stop basically. Sometimes my headphones just play a loud screeching noise during this.

Is this a malfunctioning mobo? or...
this has been happening for a while and any sort of help will be appreciated

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Custom built pc or store bought? Really sounds like a grounding issue, such as motherboard grounding out to the case.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Did you use the standoffs between motherboard and case? That would be the first mistake for people with no experience. What motherboard and case do you have?

StrangleHold

Staff member
You only put standoffs under the holes that have the grounding strip around them. Sounds like its locking up. I would think if it was a grounding issue, it would shut down or shut down and try to restart.

asven

You only put standoffs under the holes that have the grounding strip around them. Sounds like its locking up. I would think if it was a grounding issue, it would shut down or shut down and try to restart.

I did that part correctly, Everything is in place in all idk if its just my mobo malfunctioning or something like that

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Your motherboard needs 9 standoffs. Now if the case doesn't have a screwhole directly underneath one of the holes on the motherboard, then you can't put one there. But the board is a standard atx board should all 9 should be there and fit correctly.

asven

Your motherboard needs 9 standoffs. Now if the case doesn't have a screwhole directly underneath one of the holes on the motherboard, then you can't put one there. But the board is a standard atx board should all 9 should be there and fit correctly.

I think thats the problem, I might've used only 6-7 standoffs but its in essential places

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You need all 9 unfortunately. To prove this, you can build the motherboard outside of the case on a piece of cardboard and see how it reacts.

asven

You need all 9 unfortunately. To prove this, you can build the motherboard outside of the case on a piece of cardboard and see how it reacts.

Should i just buy a new mobo? This mobo fit weird into this case and all 9 didnt fit.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are you sure its aligned with the rear I/O plate correctly? Like I said previously, build it outside of the case and see how it runs then. If it works correctly then its definitely a grounding issue somewhere. Make sure none of the I/O plate tabs are inside any of the rear motherboard ports such as usb, etc.