Motherboard/Memory Question

teamhex

Is this memory compatible? The issue I have is that it shows an Asterisks next to the various speeds and memory formats...why is this? Only one shows OC next to it, I'm just confused about this.

I guess I'm a bit old school. Normally a board would say "Supports up to PC2000. Or Supports up to 2300Mhz"

If I bought this combo, could I just drop the memory in and not worry about it running at below what it's rated? That's an issue with my current built where the memory won't go to 2100Mhz and is stuck at 1600Mhz. If I'm throwing down on a new build I want to make sure it works.

Board
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132566&ignorebbr=1

Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820236038&ignorebbr=1

Laquer Head

Here is listed compatibility from Asus for your board. It probably just has the asterisk beside the numbers rather than OC every single time on Newegg.

Aside from the list, there are obviously many other comboc that will work, but thats a good guide to start from

Attachments

• Z170-A_DRAM_QVL_20160316.pdf
    288.2 KB · Views: 3

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It will work. Just means anything with asterisk next to it means you have to go into the bios and manually set speed and timings or enable xmp setting which essentially does the same thing.

teamhex

It will work. Just means anything with asterisk next to it means you have to go into the bios and manually set speed and timings or enable xmp setting which essentially does the same thing.
Is there anything special other than setting the clock speed? Will I have to adjust timings or any of that stuff?

teamhex

Here is listed compatibility from Asus for your board. It probably just has the asterisk beside the numbers rather than OC every single time on Newegg.

Aside from the list, there are obviously many other comboc that will work, but thats a good guide to start from

On that PDF I see that it has little circles to signify that it will work, but I'm not seeing one for 4 Dimm. Does this mean I can't put 4 total? My plan was to start with one set, then to add another set of two later.

Laquer Head

On that PDF I see that it has little circles to signify that it will work, but I'm not seeing one for 4 Dimm. Does this mean I can't put 4 total? My plan was to start with one set, then to add another set of two later.

No, it probably just indicates what configurations they tested and made official for the .pdf .. they probably didn't test 16GB x4 for example

You'd only be limited by the max supported capacity of the board, in your case 64GB