Motherboard or CPU dead ( I think)?.....

erebusting

BUMP because I updated.

BUMP please.. because I added an 'update' to the original post which may change your outlook on this issue...

2048Megabytes

I would try a different power supply you know is working in it and see if that is the problem. Got one you can borrow from a friend?

erebusting

I would try a different power supply you know is working in it and see if that is the problem. Got one you can borrow from a friend?

I went ahead and ordered another one already. I figure it has to be the psu since no power is obviously flowing? (I figure that the fans or some light or sound would occur if there was any power at all, but nothing just 'dead as a doorknob') ....

bigl2007

my old build has same problem wont boot showing bios plus my new one got the evga ff error so after trying everthing seems there is no way around it

2048Megabytes

The power supply is not the problem so I think it is a faulty video card, monitor or the motherboard. Try switching monitors first.

If you have the motherboard installed properly with standoffs in the case the board would not short out. Covering the spots where the motherboard makes contact with the screws with paper, cardboard or electrical tape is not needed in my opinion.

erebusting

The power supply is not the problem so I think it is a faulty video card, monitor or the motherboard. Try switching monitors first.

If you have the motherboard installed properly with standoffs in the case the board would not short out. Covering the spots where the motherboard makes contact with the screws with paper, cardboard or electrical tape is not needed in my opinion.

thanks for the help & info, but see I assembled the PC outside of the case exactly as it is now just that now it is inside of the case...when it was outside everything worked, it booted up and I was able to use the computer normally... now the only difference is that I tried different monitors (outside the case I used an old CRT, inside the case I moved it to a room to use an LCD screen...but would that really make it not even boot?..)

If it works out of the case, but not inside the case..what are my options? The only thing I can think of is that the case is shorting something ?

I SWEAR this computer is WEIRD!!!!!!! .... I left it as it was over night, now I go to turn it on and guess what....it works FINE now..? w-t-heck ? haha, man I wonder how many updates will I have to make on this post (it is kind of annoying to myself, so I know it must be annoying to those of you trying to help...I appologize)...I will post if things go south again and I cannot figure out anything

Last edited:

2048Megabytes

It is a possibility that the motherboard is on its way out. This may be why the computer works sometimes but other times it won't. I had a motherboard in the past that would work sometimes and then not work. After a few months the board just quit.

erebusting

It is a possibility that the motherboard is on its way out. This may be why the computer works sometimes but other times it won't. I had a motherboard in the past that would work sometimes and then not work. After a few months the board just quit.

yeah that's what I started to think after I was wondering what could possibly be wrong....it is not that old though maybe 4 years old or so?....I have older computers than that which still work fine.... it is an ECS pt890t-a motherboard...
See the only thing that differs my thinking from your idea is this: I tried a different CPU & Motherboard setup in it and at first it also worked fine, but after I let it sit around a while and tried it again it did not even boot at all no power or anything...so maybe that board died ? -it seems a little bit odd that both of these boards are dead/dying at the same time -maybe its the PSU or something else thats causing this ?....

Thanks 2048Megabytes, you have been very helpful...I will update this thread if I have any new or differentiating information...

Last edited: