Motherboard Problem?

basebll824

I am building a PC and when I turn it on, I get no video and any case fan plugged into the 3 pin socket on the mobo won't spin. The monitor will receive a video signal for a split second and then the signal dies. My mobo uses LED lights instead of beeps so I don't get any beeps to troubleshoot with. I can't get to the POST screen or BIOS because the video signal isn't active long enough to get this far. The CPU fan will continue to spin and so does the gfx card fan until I hold the power button for 5 seconds to turn the computer off. I have tried removing everything except the CPU/Heatsink, ram, and gfx card. I have plugged in the power to the graphics card and the 8 pin cable to the cpu socket on the motherboard as well as the 24pin ATX connector. I have tried removing the mobo from the case as well to make sure the case wasn't shorting it and it still didn't work. I have also tried with a different stick of ram. I know that the psu and gfx card are good because they recently came out of another machine. Mobo is a msi p6n-sli fi, CPU is a e6750, ram is 2gb of 2.1v ddr2 corsair, evga 7950gt ko superclocked, psu is a 500w antec NeoHe.

basebll824

The board doesn't have any onboard video and reseating the ram doesn't help. I have also tried booting with only one stick and it still doesn't post.

Bronson7

You may want to try another PSU. If that doesn't fix it, I'd be willing to bet it's a bad mobo.
Bronson7

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
You got another stick of ram that has lower voltage you could try that, since your runs stock at 2.1 volts it could possibly give you a problem at boot up.

basebll824

I meant that I had already tried reseating the ram as well as all of the other components. I also tried using a different stick of ram. Anyway, I just spoke with MSI and they confirmed that unless the cpu is bad it is a bad mobo. They told me to go ahead and rma the board.

paratwa

forgot that! Great idea! You cant have an Q6600 running with a 250W... it wouldnt supply enough juice!

Where did you get the idea he is running a 250w psu? He said he is running a 500 watt antec psu in his first post. Or that he is using a Q6600??????

I think I must have missed something.