Motherboard Upgrade

Deadpool

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/That-a-Way/saved/fzpFTW

That is my PC right now. I´m looking to upgrade my motherboard to overclock some more and have a more stable experience doing so. I know, AM3+ is outdate, Ryzen is out you moron (not in my country, and won´t be for a while, but I take your point), but I´m definitely not getting a new rig for a year at least, since I am absolutely not going to have cash. Also selling the whole thing seems tedious and I don´t really think I need to.

I could sell my motherboard for ~$100 (already got offers) and get one of this things:

1- Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 $200
2- Asus M5A99X $186
3- MSI 990FXA Gaming $263

4- Asus Sabertooth 99FX R2.0 (Gen3) $333
5- Gigabyte GA-99FXA-UD5 R5 $186
6- Gigabyte GA-99FXA-UD3 R5 $173

Any particular reason not to get the green options? I´m not too sure about the yellow ones, they seem to have 8+2 phases but I can´t find specs on it. The green ones have 6+2 and the Sabertooth has 8+2 and PCIE 3.0, although it´s crazy expensive.

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
Honestly I'd just sell what you have and roll the money into a more modern platform. Swapping out for another AM3+ board is a waste at this point.

Intel_man

VIP Member
That's a decent amount of money for that extra OC you're hoping to achieve which might not effect performance that significantly.

Deadpool

That's a decent amount of money for that extra OC you're hoping to achieve which might not effect performance that significantly.

So you think it's worth the cash but not significant? I think I agree, even if I can overclock a bit more, my cooler is not that great. Maybe with another motherboard I can roll higher frequencies with lower voltage and the temp would not go so high?

Honestly I'd just sell what you have and roll the money into a more modern platform. Swapping out for another AM3+ board is a waste at this point.

Could, although the investment on my part would be pretty big. I mean an Intel setup is already more expensive than a new AMD, and a lot more than a second hand, out date AMD. I really do not have that much money, and as I said I'm confident that I won't have any in the short term (1-2 years). I do know this platform is old, inefficient and what not, but really I don't think I can do that.

I mean the most I could do is get a couple RAM sticks, and maybe a new motherboard (if upgrading the motherboard is not that significant).

Thanks for the suggestions

Deadpool

To quote someone on this forum "AM3+ is outdate, Ryzen is out you moron"

And scene.

Seriously man putting $200 into your AM3+ rig at this point is pure looney toons.

Not even worth it.

I wouldn´t have to spend $200. As I said, I sell my motherboard for $100 and then invest $80-$100 on a new one. Still probably not worth it for a few MHz.

I disagree on the RAM though. I could get an 8Gb stick for $60. I am not going to upgrade the rig for a while anyways, and 8Gb is not really enough anymore.

mistersprinkles

I just dont think you should pour any money into anything other than AM4 or socket 1155 or later on the Intel side.
Sure, more ram would help you, but still you're upgrading an outdated machine. The motherboard thing is just nuts though. You won't get any massive perf increases from it.

Deadpool

I just dont think you should pour any money into anything other than AM4 or socket 1155 or later on the Intel side.
Sure, more ram would help you, but still you're upgrading an outdated machine. The motherboard thing is just nuts though. You won't get any massive perf increases from it.

Yeah the motherboard is kinda nuts, I´m jus kinda sick of this useless piece of cardboard :p. Not gonna change it though.

Anyways, if I really don´t get a new rig (almost impossible) I will almost definitely get an 8Gb stick.

Thanks for the feedback!