Motherboard won't recognize M.2 NVME correctly. Using PCIe 3.0 instead of PCIe 4.0

YourLocalKitten

Hi! I ran into a problem recently. I switched my Mainboard to a TUF Gaming B550-Plus and put in an M.2 SSD in the spot where the mainboard manufacturer said that there would be the PCIe 4.0 lane. Unfortunately, the BIOS says it's using the GEN3 Version. Also running a disk benchmark is showing that it won't get the speed that it's supposed to get. If someone has an idea why that is let me know!
Also sorry if I posted this thread on the wrong Topic.

Darren

Staff member
Update to latest BIOS for the motherboard?

Have a picture of what the BIOS shows? Are any of the fields configurable or something you can change?

Darren

Staff member

Darren

Staff member
Hah I work in technical support so my default is usually get the vendor involved.

Something seems weird and given what you've tried, they're likely going to be the ones that know. I did some Googling and couldn't find anything similar.

Just a thought, is there any firmware update from WD for the SSD?

YourLocalKitten

I did some Googling and couldn't find anything similar.
I googled too before and also didn't find anything what was strange, 'cause normally at least a few people have the same problem but this seems like an undetected problem or a problem nobody talks about.

Just a thought, is there any firmware update from WD for the SSD?
Actually, there was an update, but even after the update nothing changed unfortunately

beers

Staff member
What CPU are you using? Some releases like 5600G only negotiate at PCIE3 for expansion slots.