Motherboards

Verrona

I'm looking to get my hands on a dual processing motherboard (two processor slots). I have seen one b4 on a website but i cant remember the site. N e one got any ideas on where i could get one???

smitherz

why do you want a dual processor board? they are used primarily for server use with xeon processors or summit. you dont need the for single workstations, and besides the second processor doesn't kick in until the first one reaches a high processor level.

smitherz

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
why do you want a dual processor board?
Seems like everytime someone wants to do something, you gotta ask them why they want to. ;)

and besides the second processor doesn't kick in until the first one reaches a high processor level.
Wanna bet?

N e one got any ideas on where I could get one???
They're not that hard to come by (if you can afford it) really. Look around at smaller computer stores... they can do special orders on that kinda stuff

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Ya but the second processer does not give the computer anymore speed, it's so more processes can be run at any given time.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Ya but the second processer does not give the computer anymore speed, it's so more processes can be run at any given time.
For all intents and purposes it does. Thats why they're used :p (and if you think about it, "more processes at any given time" = more end speed)

Sophocles

VIP Member
Verrona

Are you interested in Video editing, encoding, or transcoding compression? Hyper Threading won't do it! Serious video compression uses virtually 100% CPU Cycles and hyper threads are one chip, so a dual processor 2 chip system is almost twice as fast. Example 2.4 hours to 1.2 hours encoding with CCE for example.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
My HP has the Intel E7520 chipset and I think the SE7520AF2 server board...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Hyper Threading won't do it!
Bingo!

so a dual processor 2 chip system is almost twice as fast
Its important to note that as you scale, the ratio of net performance to num of chips comes closer and closer to identity :)

HP has the Intel E7520 chipset and I think the SE7520AF2 server board...
It is a server board

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
and if you think about it, "more processes at any given time" = more end speed

LOL.. well you got me there :).. although most people have the idea that twice the speed in mzh is realized and that's what I meant.

ChrisHarris

HUGE BUMP.;) Hey--at least I used the search engine first--right? Rather than just starting a new thread.

Do the processors BOTH have to be the same speed?

I have 2 Celeron D Socket 478 CPU here. The first is a 2.0ghz and the second is a 1.8ghz.

Will they work together on the same board?

To me--the inexperienced user--it would seam that they would work fine together. They are both independant CPU and they woudl each work as fast as they could. No reason for them to be the same speed.

But, I could be wrong.:confused:

Now--can I EVEN get a board with dual 478 sockets? Where?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
HUGE BUMP. Hey--at least I used the search engine first--right? Rather han just starting a new thread.
Hehe and that saves ya :p Nice job with the searching though

Do the processors BOTH have to be the same speed?
They need to be identical

Now--can I EVEN get a board with dual 478 sockets? Where?
If you're looking for Intel SMP, that'll be the Xeon's department and that'll be under Socket604 and Socket775