Mothereboard Repair??

StrangleHold

Staff member
The challenge is that if I put the new board in and boot it up, I know it won't even get there. The HD will show up as not there because my mirror RAID drivers will choke it first. I could bypass that by using only one drive. But it has been my experience that I won't be able to get far enough in to delete all the drivers and such.
I need to be able to do it without booting to the drive. I can slave it to another computer, but then I don't know the name of the file to delete that contains the system properties info.

On a mirror RAID, there are two identical drives. They can be separated and one drive can be slaved and the data pulled off.

I know this for fact because thats how I salvaged my data on the last computer that went down. I was running dual mirrored RAID's on a pair of 200's and a pair of 80's on the same machine. I slaved one of each, read them as a single drive and pulled all my data off intact. In fact, I also used MS Backup as well in case I missed any files. I since restored that backup to an alternate directory to offer myself the opportunity to grab stuff as needed.

Actually, let me clarify "slaved" I ran them as a secondary master.

Yea, sure you can pull the files off of them. You know, if you dont want to try and repair the board, the cap debacle aside, there is a chance if something went wrong the board could take something out with it. There are other 478 boards around with the same chipset. The chipset controls the IDE and Sata. So it would matter about the sound/USB/ and so on driver. As long as it was the same chipset drivers it should boot up just fine. Just another idea.

BobsYourUncle

Yea, sure you can pull the files off of them. You know, if you dont want to try and repair the board, the cap debacle aside, there is a chance if something went wrong the board could take something out with it. There are other 478 boards around with the same chipset. The chipset controls the IDE and Sata. So it would matter about the sound/USB/ and so on driver. As long as it was the same chipset drivers it should boot up just fine. Just another idea.

Yeah, I have been hunting around for another board with the same chipset. No luck so far. I think I'm going to put something together and try the one drive deal and see if I can boot to it.

I still like the challenge of fixing the dead cap board just to see if I can do it.

Cleric7x9

i have repaired laptop motherboards using a technique called reflowing, its worked 3 times for me, and not worked twice. as far as desktop motherboards, ive never tried

BobsYourUncle

Good choice..that board was garbage anyhow.

Buy something new...treat yourself man!!:cool:

Well it wasn't that I couldn't afford something new. . . . I just didn't want to go through the PITA process of reinstalling everything. I pulled everything off the HD and built a new system and now I'm slowly getting it back together again. It is only one of about 8 computers I have running in my house.

Meanwhile, my own personal computer started having mboard issues, sudden crashes and many BSOD's.

So I bought me an Asus Maximus Extreme with a quad core and 4 500 gig drives and water cooling and twin video cards and a real fancy Coolermaster case and a big PSU and more. Had to reinstall everything here too, but at least I found a hack so I don't have to reactivate my genuine, legit copy of XP Pro!

Now I'm having fun!

dannaswolcott

Well, I do know my way around electronics - I have been fixing stuff since I was a puppy! I'm one of those guys who takes apart things clearly marked "No User Serviceable Parts Inside" and fixes it.

Having said that, the cap values are clearly marked on the side. I scrap out a lot of boards every year, as I do repairs, upgrades and so on. I don't see why, if I'm very careful, that I can't pull a good cap of the same value off another old board and swap them out. Or just run down to my local electronic store and buy a half dozen of the same value.

Now if it doesn't work, the board is dead anyways. It was working fine until one of them "blew its lid" Yes, I realize that with a cap gone that other components could be fed the wrong voltage and blow out too but I think it would be a nifty challenge to try!

Sure you can replace the caps. As long as the value is correct. I replace them all the time when they start to leak.