MOUSE ALTERNATIVE FOR ESSENTIAL TREMOR

Discussion in 'Computer Accessories' started by jamesd1981, Nov 6, 2018.

1. jamesd1981

jamesd1981 Active Member

Hi all, I am looking for some advice for a mouse alternative for someone with shaky hands possibly essential tremor.

I was watching my uncle struggle to accurately place the pointer on specific points and then click for instance closing a windows etc.

I am trying to decide if either a trackball or trackpad would be best to give more control ?

2. aldan

aldan Active Member

is it just one hand or both?i only have a problem in my right hand,and so,have learned to use my left more.you can turn down the mouse sensitivity to an extent to alleviate the problem.

3. jamesd1981

jamesd1981 Active Member

Both hands, i know he could alter the pointer speed etc and there are some programs to make it easier, but he was clearly getting frustrated and i was hoping something like the pad or trackball would help him keep the same productivity without as much frustration.

Having used small trackpads on laptops & obviously your phone works in a similar way, it can be much easier to run a finger across and he does not have as much trouble with his phone, but having never used a trackball myself it`s hard to physically imagine the feel & if it would be better or worse than a pad.

4. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Well-Known Member

5. Laquer Head

Laquer Head Well-Known Member

My father had similar dexterity issues and we got him a touchscreen monitor and it works very well for him and he doesn't get depressed or frustrated the way he used to.

I know this means forking out some $$ but might be a nice option to give him flexibility and lessen his frustration.,

jamesd1981, Cromewell and Darren like this.
  6. tremmor

tremmor Well-Known Member

Make a trip to a store like bestbuy and try it out your self.
    What works for one person does not mean it will work for you.
    Try it out then make the decision. a regular mouse is the same way.
    Like some and not others.
    good luck...........

7. UnholyVision

UnholyVision Member

Only as a possible suggestion. There are a few feet board style mice. Some seem to be dead though as they didn't sell great. All I can really find now is the Boomer. Maybe Ebay or similar sites can fill that gap.
    http://boomerthefootmouse.com/

I think there is also something called like stinky or sticky board. Yet I think that might be for gaming intentions.

8. Darren

Darren Moderator Staff Member

Touch screen or track ball would be my suggestion.

Laquer Head, jamesd1981 and Cromewell like this.
  9. jamesd1981

jamesd1981 Active Member

Thanks all, some great ideas, some bit pricey for surprise present to help him out.

I think as suggested i will try 1 of the big tech stores and see if i can get an idea by using things like track ball or touchscreen monitor which would be the easiest to handle.

Laquer Head likes this.
  10. tremmor

tremmor Well-Known Member

good choice, will be the right choice.