Mouse & Keyboard not working after hardware change.

RoDDerz

Hi all I just attempted to change my motherboard, cpu and graphics card but when I start up the mouse and keyboard won't work. They work in the bios menus fine but I'm guessing there's some kind of driver conflict or something...

I've tried to do a fresh windows install by booting from the OS disk (win 7) but it dispays an error and continues to start windows as normal. Safe mode also does not work...

So I'm basically stuck is there any way round this?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You will have to totally wipe the drive and start over. Backup any data you need first. Your current install is trying to load drivers from the old motherboard and its not doing it because it doesn't detect the old hardware.

RoDDerz

You will have to totally wipe the drive and start over. Backup any data you need first. Your current install is trying to load drivers from the old motherboard and its not doing it because it doesn't detect the old hardware.

I deleted all the drivers I installed under my programs. Obviously wasn't enough... Can I boot from another hard drive, trigger a windows install and then select the original hard drive under custom installation preserving my old files?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
How about putting the hard drive in another machine then copy data then wipe the drive? You have totally different hardware, best bet is to wipe and reinstall.

RoDDerz

How about putting the hard drive in another machine then copy data then wipe the drive? You have totally different hardware, best bet is to wipe and reinstall.

I don't have another machine... I don't understand why I can't just custom install by booting from cd? I guess I'll have to put my old hardware back in and copy the stuff I want to keep on to my second drive and wipe the first one...

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Because its totally different hardware and high chances of having issues with doing it that way instead of just fresh installing. Trust me I work on computers regularly as I have my own repair business on the side. What error does it show when booting to the install cd?

RoDDerz

Because its totally different hardware and high chances of having issues with doing it that way instead of just fresh installing. Trust me I work on computers regularly as I have my own repair business on the side. What error does it show when booting to the install cd?

Would I not get a fresh install from a custom then? I just wanted the old windows in a folder so I can pick out the files I want to keep.

The error wasn't for the CD drive in the end, I seemed to be selecting some other boot option which I think was a network boot or something (I'm not familiar with it). For some reason it's having trouble recognising the CD drive. I only managed to get it to work when I unplugged both the hard drives but as soon as I plugged the main one back in the windows files stopped loading and it froze. I think I will wipe and start again as you suggest!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You only want one drive attached when installing windows as sometimes the bootfiles get placed on other drives when you don't want them too, if that drive dies or is not attached then windows will not boot up. You could also buy a new drive, install windows then attach old drive then transfer files to it.

RoDDerz

You only want one drive attached when installing windows as sometimes the bootfiles get placed on other drives when you don't want them too, if that drive dies or is not attached then windows will not boot up. You could also buy a new drive, install windows then attach old drive then transfer files to it.
OK thanks that's useful to know. I think I'll just plug the old hardware back in and copy over that way

RoDDerz

I just copied my files to my second HD. Plugged the new mobo back in to install a fresh Windows onto the original hard drive, but when I boot the install the CD the mouse stops working again! I'm not even on the old windows and its still happening. What's going on this is so frustrating?

I even just booted with my other hard drive to see if it was somehow extracting the old drivers from the previous version but still the mouse and keyboard don't work...

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Make sure there are no tabs from the I/O plate that are protruding into the USB ports. You might want to try putting the motherboard on a piece of cardboard to see if it reacts the same. If it does, then you can assume something is probably up with the motherboard. Have you tried resetting cmos? Maybe flash the latest bios version?