Mouse not working/keyboard tempermental

naomi

I'm trying to fix a Compaq 5000 series desktop for a friend of mine. The system just started freezing on them...possibly due to the fact that the harddrive was FULL! Anyway...I've managed to get things working and free up some space but I can't seem to get the mouse working. I have swapped it for another one but nothing happens. Also, the only keyboard that seems to work with this tower is the Compaq one, I've tried the one from my computer but it won't work.

Any ideas on how to get the mouse to work and keyboard working properly?

Ravenryan

Have you tried restarting the computer? What all did you do to free drive space, could you have deleted a driver?

naomi

I've tried restarting the computer numerous times, tried switching to another mouse that is known to work and restarted again numerous times but didn't work.

All I did to free up space was use the Add/Remove function to remove some programs and games. I don't think I deleted the driver (I suppose anything is possible though).

I forgot to mention it's running WinMe if that helps at all.

I should also mention that when I boot up and the desktop loads the cursor/arrow is there in the middle of the screen but won't move. I've also tried an optical mouse and it lights up so I'm assuming it's getting power but won't respond either.

Last edited:

naomi

That's a possibility. When they gave me the computer to try and fix I understand it was freezing all the time and then the mouse stopped working. Is there any way to test to see if it's dead? As I stated above, I have tried other another mouse that is known to work. How else can I test it?

Dystopia

That's a possibility. When they gave me the computer to try and fix I understand it was freezing all the time and then the mouse stopped working. Is there any way to test to see if it's dead? As I stated above, I have tried other another mouse that is known to work. How else can I test it?

try putting each part itno a different MOBO, and of course, before you do that, check to see if the mice and keyboard work on another comp.

YAY!! 250 posts!!!