Moving on to Windows 10.

acelenny

So, considering that windows 10 is coming out fairly soon, I began to think about switching from Windows 7 Ultimate to it and I have 'reserved my copy' (it can't hurt, I can always choose not to install it).

I wondered what I should choose to do when I do move on to it as I have never actually done an operating system install. Should I do a clan install or should I simply install it and keep all of the things I have installed, what do you think?

My computer is now at least 5 years old and has some issues, like hard drive space randomly disappearing, etc and a clean install would probably fix them however, I don't want to have to go round redoing all of my settings for my graphics card, etc. Does anyone know of a way to export/import settings like those to save time?

beers

Staff member
Since you have other issues I'd just clean install. The time you save from not having those issues every day is greater than the time it takes to reinstall drivers and patch.

ktyuy

Do a backup. the built-in backup and restore tool will do it. upgrade to windows 10. I think a fresh install is devastating. The hardware requirements of win10 is no higher than windows7

strollin

You can't do a clean install, at least not without upgrading first. You first need to upgrade your Win 7 system to Win 10, then you can make an ISO and do a clean install. You won't have a key to do a clean install. Once you do the upgrade, your system gets registered on the MS servers and after that you can do a clean install (skip entering key during install) and your machine will get activated later.

You can't do a clean install, at least not without upgrading first. You first need to upgrade your Win 7 system to Win 10, then you can make an ISO and do a clean install. You won't have a key to do a clean install. Once you do the upgrade, your system gets registered on the MS servers and after that you can do a clean install (skip entering key during install) and your machine will get activated later.

Would I be right in thinking your licence is set to your MS account, so as soon as you log your system into your MS account it knows if or not you have a valid registration of windows making all updates and features available and making key obsolete?

silv55

That's right here;

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10