Moving PC

Droogie

New Member
Do you guys think that moving a computer back and forth between to locations is really damaging to it? I do it about once a week I've heard that unplugging and plugging everything isn't good for it, but I'm not really sure. Since I live in two locations and clearly can't afford two computers, I really have no choice.
 
As long as your PSU is switch off, I don't think it would hurt it. But it is the hard drive you have to watch out for. try not to jar it to much.
 
Like AlienMenace said, if your power is shut off before you disconnect everything, you should be ok. You do want to be careful about moving it, in terms of something getting knocked loose. So, just make sure that it doesn't get knocked around while you are transporting it back and forth. As far as I know, the plugging-in/unplugging shouldn't really be a problem, as long as you properly shut down your machine before doing so.
 
Well the wear and tear on the plugs can't be good, but there's really nothing you can do about it. Like others said, make sure your computer is turned off and unplugged before you begin to yank everything.
 
dunno if its the same as xbox 360 or not, but dont have a cd in the drive when you move it, otherwise it will get scratched
 
Use commonsense, I move my computer around a lot, for LAN parties, and everything has been fine.

Though my case is the CM Stacker, so its pretty much a tank with wheels..
 
I remember when I had my old imac g3 I never moved it. Once I did because I wanted it to be in the other room, but that was about it. I have moved my HP from room to room before. My Gateway usually just stays in my room. I think it's fine to move your computer around.
 
My advice would be just to be careful, pack Styrofoam between the RAM DIMMS and make sure its not going to rain
 
as far as i know the styrofoam will build up static on it, and most likely release it onto the ram, i dont know if a properly grounded system would have no problem with this or not, but i wouldnt do it
 
Back
Top