Moving to an ssd

Ballance1032

I've had my hard drive with all my stuff on it for a while including Windows and files. I'm wanting so add an ssd and install Windows to it. If I set the ssd as the main boot drive am I ok to just leave Windows on my old drive??

beers

Staff member
Unplug all of the other drives when installing windows. Once completely installed then you can reconnect the existing drive, just make sure BIOS/UEFI is set to boot from the new drive instead.

Then you can do whatever with the secondary drive's data such as removing Windows or similar. You would want to reinstall applications you used previously so they can have all of their intended and required dependencies on the new windows install.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Oh would I have to reinstall every program even programs I'm wanting to leave on the original drive??
Unfortunately, yes. When you install programs, its also creates registry entries that makes the programs work correctly.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can wipe it if you so wish. If you have steam/origin games installed then its just a matter of reinstalling the app and then change the library and game save locations to the secondary drive.

Agent Smith

*shakes head* why don't you just clone the drive to your new SSD? Use AOMEI Backuper. Select source and target drives to clone to. For SSD make sure you select the align partition option.

I would make sure AHCI is on in BIOS too.

Calin

*shakes head* why don't you just clone the drive to your new SSD? Use AOMEI Backuper. Select source and target drives to clone to. For SSD make sure you select the align partition option.

I was about to say the same thing. That's what I did when I moved from an HDD to a SSD then from that SSD to a M.2 one.

Geoff

VIP Member
I was about to say the same thing. That's what I did when I moved from an HDD to a SSD then from that SSD to a M.2 one.

I personally recommend doing a fresh install. Cleans up all the crap left over from your previous years of use.